Sign in to follow this  
Warpe

Vinagaroo Side Effects

Did two holsters in vinagaroo (same leather batch) and had what looks like a weird effect.

First: The edges of the leather became "feathery". They never really burnished or sanded smooth. Almost like a fraying.

Second: The leather never stiffened after drying after the forming.

Has anyone had this issue? This is my first time using this stuff so I don't know. I am hoping it was the leather batch. I have not

tried it on anything else as I don't want to ruin good leather.

Thanks in advance.

Warpe

Warpe,

I've always burnished the edges before 'roonin, so I can't address that situation....but......I can tell you that the canges that affect the tannin' process when 'rooned, make it so that it is a bit tougher, for lack of a better word. I find that the tooling requires more effort and when forming it, the results are a bit less than satisfactory. It doesn't stiffen (?) up like a dyed piece does. Vinegarooning works on the tannin's in the leather and I believe that may be the root cause of the prolem. Semper-fi Mike

I'll just add a little bit to what Marine mp said...I have only burnished my edges while still wet from the vinegaroon process and get great results. Is there any chance something could have gotten mixed in with the vinegaroon solution? I have no clue how the oil on steel wool would effect anything, or if you even used steel wool, but if you did, did you make sure to degrease it first?

Edited by markush

I'll just add a little bit to what Marine mp said...I have only burnished my edges while still wet from the vinegaroon process and get great results. Is there any chance something could have gotten mixed in with the vinegaroon solution? I have no clue how the oil on steel wool would effect anything, or if you even used steel wool, but if you did, did you make sure to degrease it first?

I did not degrease the steelwool. I am getting ready to test a better quality leather piece to rule out the leather. If it is still flimsy, i will try de-greasing the steelwool.

Sounds like the leather to me. If it's THAT flimsy after the 'roon, chances are it was a piece of rolled leather that was compressed and had a glued/matted back. I think any significant exposure to liquid would have yielded similar results.

I've never had 'roon do anything it wasn't supposed to, and it's practically all I use for black anymore.

Sounds like the leather to me. If it's THAT flimsy after the 'roon, chances are it was a piece of rolled leather that was compressed and had a glued/matted back. I think any significant exposure to liquid would have yielded similar results.

I've never had 'roon do anything it wasn't supposed to, and it's practically all I use for black anymore.

I am thinking it is the leather too. I will know in the next couple of days.

FWIW - the oil in the steel wool shouldn't cause any major problems. I;ve made more than few batches without degreasing with no problems. As noted it is most likely the leather - I have had problems with vinegar black on some of the import hides........

Did two holsters in vinagaroo (same leather batch) and had what looks like a weird effect.

First: The edges of the leather became "feathery". They never really burnished or sanded smooth. Almost like a fraying.

Second: The leather never stiffened after drying after the forming.

Has anyone had this issue? This is my first time using this stuff so I don't know. I am hoping it was the leather batch. I have not

tried it on anything else as I don't want to ruin good leather.

Thanks in advance.

Warpe

FWIW from the grumpy guy, I also vote for a poor grade of leather. I only use good quality shoulders for holsters. Once in a while I'll use backs for historically accurate rigs, but I have seen chunks of belly leather that do that sort of thing. Mike