Sign in to follow this  
Leather Bum

Deer Antler Preparation?

Hi everyone. I recently found a deer antler and figured I could make a bone folder or burnisher out of it, but I'm wondering what the recommended cleaning procedure would be before cutting the piece. I gathered from another topic here that there was a possibility of bacteria being present in antlers that were shed, but that boiling bones or using bleach was definitely not advised, as it could dry them out or weaken them. . . Are micro-organisms really something to worry about, or is a good cleaning with dish soap and maybe Fantastic fine enough?

Apparently deer shed their antlers closer to the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure how this one came off. . . It's definitely broken at the base, though.

post-84-008204400 1319746652_thumb.jpg

post-84-074534300 1319746662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leather Bum

I've used deer antler for burnishing. Just moisten the edge of the leather, and rub it vigorously with the antler. I rub it on "intersection" of the main beam and one of the points, where the surface curves. I wouldn't worry about catching a disease from an antler. Everyone I know has handled them for years, and nobody I know has ever gotten sick from it. I don't think it would be a good idea to put it in your mouth, or make it into soup, though :)

I've never done anything to 'prepare' antler for burnishing, and 35 years on . . . I'm still here! :rolleyes:

As far as I know you in cutting the antler try not to breath in too much dust as that is what is bad for you. Use a dust mask. I make antler buttons on the armguards I make and always use a dust mask when I cut and sand the button. Better safe then sorry. Course I found this out after i had made quite a few buttons. I'm still here but not all there.

The big problem with people getting sick from antlers is usually inhaling the residue when cutting, which introduces any bacteria present in/on the antler into your lungs along with a lot of sharp, irritating antler dust. Or even just a load of that dust and an opportunistic nasty already lurking in the lungs. Or from people using manky bones and antlers that came from a decomposed carcass, which can have a large load of bacteria in the marrow/spongy bone, joint ends, crevices and sutures, and any rough surfaces.

If you wear the proper safety equipment and take reasonable precautions to avoid inhaling the dust, I don't think you'll have much to worry about--the antler looks pretty fresh (it hasn't been decomposing in a damp place where bacteria will flourish, like in a fouled seep), it isn't chalky and looks still hard (so there aren't a lot of crevices and soft areas), and it didn't come off a rotting carcass.

You can wash it in soap and hot water and even wipe it down with bleach followed by a rinse with water. You just don't want to soak it in bleach, leave bleach on the surface, or boil it, as it is the long exposure to bleach or heat that begins degrading bone and antler.