Sign in to follow this  
entiendo

Enrique

Page 5, picture 9 in you book.....how do I get one of those????

Can't tell of you're talking to me or not. If yes I will send you one or two. Send me your mailing address to k7pbt@comcast.net.

You have a book too? Geez I didn't know that. Where can I see it? What's on page 5 picture 9 of your book? LOL...;/..

I was actually talking to Enrique, I just bought his book and one of the tools he lists is a homemade button shaper.....It looks super cool!!!

I made it myself. You can get any kind of flat pliers and file the notches yourself. There is one plier that is used by the people that work with glass that is great for this. If you can get one of those, then it is really easy to make.

I will try to get a picture of one of those.

Cheers,

Enrique

Please look at this post where I made one out of wood. The one in the book is better but this one is free

http://www.armasblancas.com.ar/foros/el-taller-de-soguero/19394-pinza-para-tientos.html

Enrique

I'll check them out. I think my husband my know someone that could do something like this for me, I'll have to ask. I have a button right now I could use one of those on. It's not quite right in one spot and I can't seem to make it right. I almost cut it off and started over but since they are my reins I'll pretend I don't see it and may I can get someone to make me one of those tools.

Oh..I friended you on facebook. Can't miss the profile picture...a pony wearing glasses with bright red hair.

I'll check them out. I think my husband my know someone that could do something like this for me, I'll have to ask. I have a button right now I could use one of those on. It's not quite right in one spot and I can't seem to make it right. I almost cut it off and started over but since they are my reins I'll pretend I don't see it and may I can get someone to make me one of those tools.

Oh..I friended you on facebook. Can't miss the profile picture...a pony wearing glasses with bright red hair.

I saw it. I dind't know who that was but I saw it related to leather braiding.

I found a picture of a pair of pliers for glass. Is the one the guys that work with glass use to cut glass after it is marked.

Cheers,

Enrique

post-24816-008658800 1320431218_thumb.jp

enrique,

I recieved your book a few days ago and I cant put it down. Very well written and informative. Thank you very much.

I have two questions about the fid work that you did in the book. First you used 48 strands 1 mm wide on a 64 mm handle, giving you 77% coverage. Have you found there to be an ideal percentage to aim for, or an ideal range that you like. Is 90% to tight and hard to work, is 60% to loose to get a good look.

The second question is about length of your rawhide. For round braids it is 1 1/2 x length of finished project. What do you cut your lengths to, 3x or maybe 4x length of your handle.

Again, thanks for such a great book, and any answers you have would be greatly appreciated.

enrique,

I recieved your book a few days ago and I cant put it down. Very well written and informative. Thank you very much.

I have two questions about the fid work that you did in the book. First you used 48 strands 1 mm wide on a 64 mm handle, giving you 77% coverage. Have you found there to be an ideal percentage to aim for, or an ideal range that you like. Is 90% to tight and hard to work, is 60% to loose to get a good look.

The second question is about length of your rawhide. For round braids it is 1 1/2 x length of finished project. What do you cut your lengths to, 3x or maybe 4x length of your handle.

Again, thanks for such a great book, and any answers you have would be greatly appreciated.

Close to 75% is good coverage because when you wrap the thongs around the handle you want them to cover it completely while your thongs adquire an angle of around 45 degrees. Normally I use multiples of 6 so I can do O2 U2 or O3 U3 patterns on the same piece. Some patterns requiere multiples of 11 (for example). If 48 would have not been enough, I should have used 54 (48 +6) to keep my pattern.

99% of the times we cut the thongs form a piece about 20cm wide and about 1.3 meters long. We seldon cut thongs from a circle. For that reason, we use the thongs of that length (1.3 meters) or have of that and is always enough so I don't need to measure the length of them. The terminations consume more thong so it also depend on the braiding you do. The fid work doesn't. I would say 4X is a good safety measure.

Cheers,

Enrique

Thanks again for answering my questions,

There is one other thing that I was curious about if you dont mind. What I have read in books or seen on this forumn, braiders seem to prefer horse or cow for there rawhide. In your book you say that you use deer and goat for braiding. I thought that they would be to strechy. Do you prefer any certain type of rawhide for certain projects or do you just use whatever you have available at the time.

Thanks again for answering my questions,

There is one other thing that I was curious about if you dont mind. What I have read in books or seen on this forumn, braiders seem to prefer horse or cow for there rawhide. In your book you say that you use deer and goat for braiding. I thought that they would be to strechy. Do you prefer any certain type of rawhide for certain projects or do you just use whatever you have available at the time.

Horse and goat are the two more used in Argentina. I have a friend that is a hunter and I asked him to save the deer skins for me. I process them myself with lime and some of them work good. So I use deer because is available for free and is not bad. I have hear that people says is strechy but remember we don't use it tempered or tanned and probably that is the diference. I would use more goat or horse if have more available. I don't use any particular material for specific projects. I select it based on the lenght and the thickness that I need among my stock of rawhides.

Cheers,

Enrique