Sovran81

Turkshead

I have trouble getting the base for turkshead the correct size. I either get gaps between the strands or it bunches up and wont lay flat because it is too crowded. I have found a calculator online but it gives length of cord needed. Does anyone know of a calculator that I can plug in the other variables to come up with the size base needed?

Hi Joe.

I don't know if you have tried the Grid Maker on my site or not. But here's the link to it,

KHWW Grid Maker

Give it try and see if that will work for you. If not I'll see what I can do otherwise to help you out.

B...

Thanks Brian I will give it a try. One thing I noticed right away is that it computes for single pass. What I was really looking for was something that could compute for multiple passes. Would it work by just multiplying the strand width by the number of passes to give an accurate base diameter?

Hi Joe.

I don't know if you have tried the Grid Maker on my site or not. But here's the link to it,

KHWW Grid Maker

Give it try and see if that will work for you. If not I'll see what I can do otherwise to help you out.

B...

Edited by Joe M

Hi Joe.

I think that will work. Not too sure. But it would worth a try to see. I have never had to do what you're looking to do. Which by the way, that object you're putting the turks head around must be a weird shape.

B...

I have trouble getting the base for turkshead the correct size. I either get gaps between the strands or it bunches up and wont lay flat because it is too crowded. I have found a calculator online but it gives length of cord needed. Does anyone know of a calculator that I can plug in the other variables to come up with the size base needed?

Hi Joe,

I've used the GM to size a knot before, kind of. See headhunter thread here. If you match the strand width size to your strands, then set the strand gap size to three times that, you'll be close if you're tripling the passes, maybe a little short as your bights will only show 1 width on each end.

If you want to try some math, Sidney Wood has a lot of stuff I posted here:

See post# 7 here.

I hope this helps.

@ Skyout, yes it helped, almost to the point of information overload. Thank you. I have bookmarked several of the linked pages for reference.