Sign in to follow this  
JCW

New Member From Oklahoma, With Pics!

I've had a very special treasure, contained in a cardboard box, packed away for many years. After discovering this forum a few days ago I brought out this special box and would like to share it with you all.

I am 50 years old. One of my aunts was a very creative and artistic person and was involved in leathercraft before I was born. Her interest in leather working had come up in conversation one time many years ago. A few days later a package was delivered to my home. It was all of her leather working tools and supplies. Every bit of it. Unfortunately, I never got to learn from her. I have had this box packed away for a very long time.

Fast forward many years and now we have computers, internet, Google, Youtube, and discussion forums for every imaginable interest. It is time for me to unpack this special treasure chest and begin learning. I've done one little practice piece and it's enough for me to know that 1) this is going to be fun and 2) there is a huge learning curve!

I would like to start with making belts and work up to gun belts, holsters, and rigs.

Here's the pics, enjoy! The magazines are from 1956 and 1957...

aunt.connie5.jpg

aunt.connie7.jpg

aunt.connie2.jpg

aunt.connie4.jpg

practice.jpg

Great to find a new challenge. I have enjoyed every moment since becoming involved in the craft and wish that I had realized many years ago that my initial attempt at leatherwork would again peak my interest at a ripe old age. It is pure "pleasure" for me and don't know when to quit.

Your work is great and you can only get better in days ahead.

Enjoy to the max and anything you need to learn is available on this site. Great site and great folks. We are extremely fortunate to have such a great place to go for assistance.

God Bless.

Helmut aka Ray

I was just reading some of the old post and came across this one. What an incredible treasure for your aunt to share with you! That's the thing I like about leather crafting it is something that can be passed down and bring joy to all generations. :)