Sign in to follow this  
LemonBall

Clutch Motor?

Hi,

I have a few questions about clutch motors and I'm hoping some of you terrific folks can enlighten me:

What is a clutch motor and how does it differ from a servo motor?

Are there any advantages to using a clutch motor over a servo motor?

Are some machines only compatible with a clutch motor, or are clutch and servo motors interchangeable?

Any insight is appreciated.

Paul C.

Hi,

I have a few questions about clutch motors and I'm hoping some of you terrific folks can enlighten me:

What is a clutch motor and how does it differ from a servo motor?

Are there any advantages to using a clutch motor over a servo motor?

Are some machines only compatible with a clutch motor, or are clutch and servo motors interchangeable?

Any insight is appreciated.

Paul C.

A clutch motor is noisy and runs constantly, and only engages when you step on the pedal. They are hard for some people to control the speed. No advantages over a servo motor to my knowledge. A servo motor is much quieter, and runs only when you step on the pedal. The speed is adjustable to go as fast or slow as you want. Much more precise control over speed. Yes, you can change out a clutch motor for a servo, as long as they're the same size/horse power. If you have a sewing machine with a clutch motor on it, you won't regret changing it out for a servo.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that my servo motor has a little more punching power than the clutch motor. Seems to handle heavy leather or more layers of vinyl easier than the clutch.

Now I need to find a use for the old clutch motor I have laying around. :)

Paul

As hilly stated the AC "Clutch" motor is an AC "Mains voltage" motor that runs constantly and when you put your foot on the go pedal an arm moves the drive pully, through a clutch or slip ring system, on to the spinning motor shaft face (another "clutch") and starts to move the drive pulley and belt which in turn drives the machine.

The advantages of this are,

a very good variation of speed from very very slow or very fast depending on the pressure you put on the go pedal, and the size of the drive pully. This of course also relates to the speed of your machine motor. Some ar 2250 rpm and the slow ones are 1425 rpm.

A very easy to set up and adjust clutch system and quite cheap to buy. Nearly all industrial sewing machines were fitted with this system.

If you have ever watched a plain sewer from a clothing factory actually working, the workers are driving these machines flat out and its like driving a car at 150 mph. They will sew extremely fast and will get out of control very easily. They seem to learn how to control them but its all to do with your foot pressure on the go pedal. A lot of them now have electronic positioning sensors and speed controllers on them and will start and stop at the same place ever time. ie foot up. And you can set the speed to anything you want. Great.

The DC servo system is quite new technology and its a DC motor so your mains voltage is changed to DC inside the control box. These motors are controlled by electronic controllers which make very fast on-off (start stop) and very accurately adjust to the constant speed that is required for sewing. I believe these too are relativley cheap now days. They are directly connected. So no "clutch" and when no pressure is on the pedal the motor is not running. Your foot pedal tells the controller to switch on the motor and go.

Advantages are

fast start-stop speed.

very powerful quick start constant speed.

Less maintenance

I have both types in my workshop and dont really mind either type. The worst thing about a clutch motor is you need to learn how to feather the foot pedal to give both a constant slow speed and accurate stop start needle positioning which can take ages (years) whereas the DC servo you can slam your foot on the pedal and it will do the same speed no matter what.

The amount of actual stitching that us leather workers do is relatively small compared with a clothing factory and clutches will last for years and years.

They can however be replaced easliy and cheaply.

I have used very small pulleys and also the speed control pully systems and both seem to work ok. especially for the slow speeds required for accurate leather stitching.

Artisan (which I have a Toro 3000) will be able to tell you more about the servo motors and there uses etc.

They have DC servo motors and when I first saw mine I thought this is a queer looking thing but have gotten quite used to it.

Anyway must fly

Trevor

"way down Under"