ACarver

Jw Edgers

I'm planning to get new High Quality Edgers... I'm thinking about Jeremiah western edgers, but been told they not worth it, any suggestion will be appreciated... by the way I'm not worry about the costs.. Thanks

I don't do saddle making, so there are 4 of Ron's edgers that I don't have (obviously the cantle and horn ones). I also have a few Gomph, Osborne, and Douglas, and yes the obligatory Tandy edgers. I obviously liked Ron's so much I bought all of them. They hold an edge quite well with the occasional stropping. The small Montana edgers are really great for close and thin work. You can really edge a piece of 2oz. The French skivers are really great for doing butt joints.

The Gomph edgers I have are really big for their numbers. I found a 1 or 2 worked for everything. Maybe that was because of sharpening over time, although to the eye they did not appear to have excessive sharpening.

Osborne edgers are good, require sharpening often, but are more realistic in regard to numbers.

The Douglas and King edgers are very good, I have used them a couple of times, but I have the Ron's so no need to collect them. You wouldn't go wrong with Douglas or King edgers either.

I have never used JWs tools except for hammers.

If you want old tools, get them from Bruce Johnson or Sheridan Leather Outfitters. SLO also has Douglas Tools, old and new.

With Ron's edgers, Ron Edmonds has retired, but I just bought a rand knife from the new owners and the tools are as good or better.

Art

I'm planning to get new High Quality Edgers... I'm thinking about Jeremiah western edgers, but been told they not worth it, any suggestion will be appreciated... by the way I'm not worry about the costs.. Thanks

I own and use Barry King, C.S. Osborne and Weaver edgers personally. I did have the opportunity to spend sometime at the Douglas booth this past October and man I have to tell you.......they are top notch! Unfortunately, as a hobbyist (personally) I cannot justify the price for the tool. I own one tool from Ron's and it is top notch as well, but I don't think my collection will grow past this one for the same reasons. To give you an idea, my friend who went with me to the show spent $600 and walked away with about 5 items.

Good luck

I get into the Douglas Booth and they have to call the fire department to get me out. Costs me a fortune; and he comes to every show. Like I said, if I didn't already have Ron's, I'd buy Douglas.

Art

I own and use Barry King, C.S. Osborne and Weaver edgers personally. I did have the opportunity to spend sometime at the Douglas booth this past October and man I have to tell you.......they are top notch! Unfortunately, as a hobbyist (personally) I cannot justify the price for the tool. I own one tool from Ron's and it is top notch as well, but I don't think my collection will grow past this one for the same reasons. To give you an idea, my friend who went with me to the show spent $600 and walked away with about 5 items.

Good luck

Art: for me they have to call my mother over the loud speaker for a kicking and screaming kid who doesn't want to leave the booth. Beautiful stuff.