Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to make round edges on veg. tanned leather without darkening the edges ? And if so, then what to use. Ive tried with some

different waxes, but they all make the edges darker.

Im also looking for a finisher/ conditioner that doesnt darken the leather, i tried Montana blend and a few other greases, but that made

it lot darker.

After searching threads here, ive seen people recommend Lexol and Bick4, but are these waterproofing?

Thanks for your time.

Lexol will definitely darken. All leather will darken over time and exposure. I've found a good balance between water RESISTANCE and non-darkening to be Saddle-Lac from Fiebings. If you want real waterproofing, go to a shoe treatment.

For the edges, you will always get some darkening because you are compressing the fibers. This can be reduced by just using water as a lubricant and burnishing slowly to not create as much heat.

Im not that fond of Lac, but if i dont find any other alternative i will give it a try. I tried yesterday with just water and/or Gum T yesterday, and it turned out fine as long as i dont press

to hard, like you said. I just have to let the water dry completely otherwise it will darken it more then if i burnish wet. And then i put on some clear wax, and again if i just put a little on

and dont press to hard, it turns out just fine. And i think if i put some conditioner on top it will be satisfying, but i would still like to hear on what others do :)

Oh and i will follow op on your advice and seek advice for a conditioner at a upholstery or saddlery shop.