whipit

Computer program

I'm looking for a computer program that I can use to draw up pattens for braiding. At the moment I use papper with diagonal lines drawn up and colour in the squares to give me the patten to follow. I would like to know if there is any programe that I could use and be able to save it.

Please help.

Bob

Have you looked at Microsoft Powerpoint. You could draw a box, color it and then duplicate it for the next stitch. You can also rotate objects to get the correct angle you want.

BillB.

I'm looking for a computer program that I can use to draw up pattens for braiding. At the moment I use papper with diagonal lines drawn up and colour in the squares to give me the patten to follow. I would like to know if there is any programe that I could use and be able to save it.

Please help.

Bob

I have been using the bit mapped graphic editor "Paint" in Windows to make templates for braided knots, flat and round braids, for some time. The trick is to create a basic uncoded mat grid of some size and extract the braid pattern you need and code it apropriatly. I have an article on "The Basic Turkshead" about this for the knots and the same idea works for flat and round braid. The url is taylortel.net/~stwood. All the knot diagrams on the site were done this way.

Sidney Wood

I use adobe illustrator for line drawings. I believe there is an opensource piece of software called inkscape also.

Illustrator will be costly and inkscape will be free.I believe either of those programs will fit what you want to do just

fine.

Any vector based art program would be the most accurate but they tend to be the most costly pieces of software. You could use Illustrator, but I am from the dying breed that uses CorelDraw. You can download a 30 day trial of CorelDraw from their website. That might be enough time for you to import your current jpg and bitmap templates into the program and use trace to vectorize them.