Sign in to follow this  
Medicus Matt

Seax Sheath

Something I finished last night. It's a new sheath for my Anglo Saxon Seax.

I wanted to make a new one utilising an authentic period suspension method, rather than one of the speculative methods used by most re-enactors. There's a 6th century seax sheath from Groningen that has slits in it where thonging ran through so I've copied that and combined it with the sort of belt re-inforcement plates found in 6th/7th century burials.

The carved decoration is taken from pieces found in the Satffordshire Hoard.

post-21641-062422800 1328783674_thumb.jp

post-21641-099853000 1328783685_thumb.jp

post-21641-065024000 1328783693_thumb.jp

OK, I guess I didn't really know how the Vikings carried their sheaths. I've seen all kinds of reenactor methods, like you mention, and just assumed that they were copying historical designs. So, is the method you used the only one that's historical? Not to be a wisw guy, I'd just like to know. And, is yours simply tied with a knot on the backside of the sheath?

Doug

OK, I guess I didn't really know how the Vikings carried their sheaths. I've seen all kinds of reenactor methods, like you mention, and just assumed that they were copying historical designs. So, is the method you used the only one that's historical? Not to be a wisw guy, I'd just like to know. And, is yours simply tied with a knot on the backside of the sheath?

Doug

Vikings? Who mentioned Vikings? I'm interested in early Anglo Saxon, Migration period and the pre-Viking era Vendel/Valsgarde culture. Vikings are 'Johhny-Come-Latelys' as far as Im concerned. :)

There are plenty of knife and seax sheath remains to study but not many of them reveal the way in which the sheath was suspended, often because the leather finds are from ancient refuse dumps where they were discarded after having the metal components stripped from them. Some (like the 'Ford Laverstock seax which was found in a burial) still have buckles mounted on the top of the sheath which obviously connected to some hanging straps but how those straps were themselves fixed to the belt is unknown.

Others have slits cut into the leather and no sign of metal components other than some reinforcing rivets to close the leather along the cutting edge. Some of these are single slits (especially on smaller knives where the sheath would hang vertically from a single thong) and some are in mutiple pairs, like the one from Groningen, which demonstrate that a pair of thongs were used to hang the sheath either horizontally or at an angle. Again, no sheath of this type has been found with fittings that prove what happened with the thongs/straps where they meet the belt (because soil condiitions tend to be good at preserving EITHER leather or metal, seldom both) but there are many examples of small metal belt fittings that have holes in them that are clearly for passing a hanging thong or strap through. So I've combined two archaeological examples to produce what I feel is an accurate method of suspension. I know it's not the only one that was used but it's the only one I can confidently reconstruct in a 6th/early 7th century context. The lower end of the thong is stitched to itself and the upper end will be secured with a couple of amber beads which are arriving today. That way I'll be able to take the sheath off the belt easily, or adjust the angle that it hangs at.

Viking sheaths are a whole different subject. Small ones could be very simple (hanging from a single thong) or very complex (with multiple metal fittings and suspended from metal trichinopoly chain) and large ones had a variety of fittings and suspension methods. I recommend you look at the finds from Dublin, York and Gotland to give you an idea as to the complexity and variety of Viking knife sheaths. I can give you some links to reference material if you're really interested.

A lot of re-enactors just put their knives into badly made tubes of leather that hang from a couple of loops that their belt goes through. Knives were important, a sign of being a free man or woman and even the smallest sheaths were often highly decorated (unlike sword scabbards which, contrary to what most re-enactors seem to believe, were usually undecorated).

Edited by Medicus Matt

Hey Medicus, thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, if you don't mind sending me some links, I'd appreciate seeing a few examples. No need to go out of your way with an extravagant amount. I'm just using a mounting method that seemed practical to me, derived from pictures of other people's kit. Most of my gear is based on a little more research, but this aspect just never occurred to me.

Your sax is a handsome piece of work. So, how are you involved in reenacting? I'm a nonfighting member of SCA, and a new member of Regia Anglorum in the USA, where I live about an hour away from a local group. I have yet to make my first meeting, so my kit will need some upgrading. I also sell leatherwork at Renfaires, much of which is oriented to the Viking age. I try hard to get those items way more accurate than most other merchants on the RF scene, but some of my stuff is speculative fantasy. Gotta make what sells. I like to steal and modify my favorite line from The Deer Hunter, "This is this...and that is that."

Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Illinois, and a long way from any other Viking/Vendel reenactors, except the Regia group, and I'm not sure what kind of a welcome I'll be getting there. Hopefully I'll become a part of their little family.

Doug

OH, I see that you're a Brit. Guess we'll never meet, then.

Hey Medicus, thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, if you don't mind sending me some links, I'd appreciate seeing a few examples.

For Gotland style sheaths then this cheap CD is a must :- http://www.arkeodok....%20example.html. If you click the link you'll see a couple of examples of finds but the CD is well worth the money. Googling 'Gotland knife sheath' will bring up a few other examples, with these by Thorkil being some of the best examples:- http://www.thorkil.pl/knives.htm

Beyond that, I'd recommend getting hold of copies of the two books by Esther Cameron:-

http://www.oxbowbook.../Location/Oxbow

http://shop.museum.i...ds-sheaths.aspx

Most of my gear is based on a little more research, but this aspect just never occurred to me.

Ahhh, eventually a good re-enactor learns to challenge EVERYTHING and take nothing as a given. So many things that are common in early medieval re-enactment (like highly decorated viking sword scabbards) have no basis in reality and, when questioned on a p iece of kit, most re-enactors have no idea what it's based on. They just accept it as being correct because generations of previous re-enactors have done the same. I like to know where everything comes from, how it was made, what materials it was made from etc... I started out in Regia about 20 years ago (and was a member for 8 years)and it's a good place to start, with very high standards of authenticity.

Gotta make what sells.

Fortunately, i don't. I get to pick and choose my projects based on how interesting they are and how interested the customer is in having something more authentic than the majority of scabbards and sheaths on the market. I don't do it to make a living, which is just as well because nobody would be prepared to pay what these things cost in terms of time and effort.

Like this scabbard I've just finished for the chap who portrays King Raedwald at Sutton Hoo. It's still got to have all of the gold and garnet fittings put on it but it's probably the closest thing to an truly authentic scabbard I've made to date. The wooden core is made from 2mm thick lathes of poplar curved to fit the blade. It's lined with beaver fur and the leather is dyed with kermes, wood ash and water which has been sealed with a mix of oil and beeswax. The decoration is both foundation moulded over cord or leather and then carved, taken from a design found on the 7th century Vaslgarde 6 scabbard.

post-21641-008128100 1329218615_thumb.jp

post-21641-000109100 1329218623_thumb.jp

Medicus, a very impressive scabbard. Also, thanks for the links. Thorkel's things are also something beautiful to behold. I think that those ancient Scandanavians had a gift for making beautiful shapes, and blending them together in harmonious proportions. At least they appeal to my sensibilities more than the items from any other culture. The Vendel and Valsgarde helmets combine the elements of primitive savagery with with exquisite design and craftsmanship.

At least they appeal to my sensibilities more than the items from any other culture. The Vendel and Valsgarde helmets combine the elements of primitive savagery with with exquisite design and craftsmanship.

Me too, more so than later Anglo Saxon or 'Viking' period designs.

That's why I belong to Wulfheodenas , a group dedicated to portraying the people of the pagan Anglo Saxon and Vendel/Valsgarde cultures as accurately as possible.

Look us up on Facebook. ;)

Edited by Medicus Matt

Oh, yeah! I've seen pictures of you guys before. You all are the best...ever.

Me too, more so than later Anglo Saxon or 'Viking' period designs.

That's why I belong to Wulfheodenas , a group dedicated to portraying the people of the pagan Anglo Saxon and Vendel/Valsgarde cultures as accurately as possible.

Look us up on Facebook. ;)

Ah, a Wulfheodenas! Greetings from Germany, I´am dooing late 6th early 7th century reenactment for the last 15 years!

Here in the Alamannia we have no such luck with our Spatha-sheaths. They usually where not made of leather over wood, they made a rust phloem-Wrapping over Wood. In the next month i will make one of this sheats for my own new Spatha.