Sign in to follow this  
Dwing8

Ostrich Leg

I've never worked with ostrich leg leather before, can I wet mold it like veg-tan? I want to be able to form it around a smooth flat on the bottom rounded on the top stone about the size of a quarter on a bracelet. Is it really thin like python?

Thanks,

Dano

Edited by Dwing8

The stuff i have is quite a bit thicker than python, and I do not believe it can be wet molded.

Kevin

I've never worked with ostrich leg leather before, can I wet mold it like veg-tan? I want to be able to form it around a smooth flat on the bottom rounded on the top stone about the size of a quarter on a bracelet. Is it really thin like python?

Thanks,

Dano

I agree with Phatdaddy. It works well when backed by a 3/4 oz piece of veg tanned and used in inlay work. Folding or bending will try to lift the 'scales' or 'plates'. A pic of how I use it mostly. Mike

001-3-1.jpg

If you're using any part of the "shin" where the large, flat scales are, the scales will lift up unless your stone is very flat with little height to it. The scales are somewhat flexible, but can't conform to curves well across the long axis of the scale (I've uploaded a picture of the scale so you can see how stiff they are). They don't mold as the scales are somewhat like fingernails--made of keratin--and they don't absorb water like veg-tan leather will. When comparing python and ostrich leg, the leather of the python skin is about half the thickness of the ostrich, but the scales are thinner and more flexible on the snake. Towards the knee of the ostrich, or on either side of of the shin scales, the scales are smaller, and more round than oblong, and might work for what you need.

Sorry, it didn't attach the file. Let's try that again.

Edited by WinterBear

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know there would be scales down the middle like that. If I carry on with my plan I see I'd have to use the sections off center. What grade is the leg in the picture? I've seen some for sale online at a really good price but it's listed as Grade 2. Tandy has some on sale but I haven't made a trip there to look it over.

Thanks again!Dano

This was a #2 leg in the "buttercup" color from Springfield leather. I bought two legs from them, the other is black. Both are of a good size, but they both have some flaws (which is why they are #2, of course) that I will need to work around when I decide what to make with them. The black has a slit along the shin and the buttercup has some small scales that are torn off along the center along either side of the shin, leaving fleshy patches. I'll upload a picture of both in just a moment with a quarter or something in the picture to help you judge sizes.

Ok, here are the pictures. The first shows the two, with a quarter between so you can get some idea of the size of the whole leg, as well as the shin scales. I've poke a petaler tool through the slit in the black so you can see where that lies. The second picture is of the right-hand end of the buttercup, with the quarter to show you the size of the scales at the end of the shin scales. The size of the other scales range from the shin scales, to this size, to the smallest, which are about the size of a pinhead. You can see some of the damaged scales to the bottom left of the quarter. Both legs, although flawed, will still provide me with enough shin scale with careful cutting for a small billfold, or inlays for several knife sheaths.

As an aside, I haven't been to Tandy to see their legs, so I can't offer you a comparison between what they offer to what I received from Springfield. It could be that theirs are a #1, or a #1-2, and might be larger or have more of the usable portion of the hide.

Thanks for the pictures, the condition looks good enough for me. Springfield Leather is where I was thinking about ordering from, the price is lower than Tandy's and I probably will be ordering a few other things too. I think I can work around any defects.

Thanks again!Dano