Dwing8

Python

I posted this message under another category (Leather) and I thought I'd post it again here too. What is the best coating to use on Python to keep the scales from raising up? I tried spraying many coats of clear enamel sanding in between each coat and that seems to work. I also tried spraying urethane the same way but that is terrible. The urethane cracks if you roll the piece and it can be picked off if you try hard enough. What is the best way?

Thanks,

Dano

Please don't do that anymore. Almost everyone eventually starts using the "View New Content" link at the top of the page on the right under the ads. So one post on a subject will be seen by most.

I use Neat Lac (no longer made under that name, but available as WyoSheen at Sheridan Leather Outfitters and under the LCI brand from Springfield Leather) and I spray it. If you spray, get a can of thinner for it, and you might want to do it outside too.

Art

I posted this message under another category (Leather) and I thought I'd post it again here too.

I posted this message under another category (Leather) and I thought I'd post it again here too. What is the best coating to use on Python to keep the scales from raising up? I tried spraying many coats of clear enamel sanding in between each coat and that seems to work. I also tried spraying urethane the same way but that is terrible. The urethane cracks if you roll the piece and it can be picked off if you try hard enough. What is the best way?

Thanks,

Dano

FWIW, my experience with 'slither' type skins is limited to inlay work. I learned from Dave Cole (may he RIP) and after the inlay is in place and done, he used Fiebing's Super Sheen, painted on the skin. He used multiple layers (3 I think) and never had a problem. I use a 50/50 mix of Mop and Glo and water to accomplish the same thing, but this works well on an area that is very limited in it's movement or bending. Mike

Sorry about the double post, won't do it again.

Thanks everybody for the replies, seems the biggest area on the skin is the belly. They cut it there and the scales are the biggest there. I found on my shelf of forgotten things a can of latex enamel clear gloss. Looks like it goes on thick so maybe that'll work until I can find what you suggested.

Thanks,

Dano

Have you tried to spray not onto but UNDER the scales? I don't know much about a python, but for cobra I have once worked with, I got over same problems somehow. I believe cobra has smaller scales but anyway...

What I did:

I have put skin on the desk up side down, roll one end "up side up" so scales raised and sprayed enamel under them. I rolled whole the skin by pulling that end and sprayed under the scales until it became wrong side down on the desk. Pressed scales a bit . Let skin sit there then paint 2 tandy's supershene on top.

Have you tried to spray not onto but UNDER the scales? I don't know much about a python, but for cobra I have once worked with, I got over same problems somehow. I believe cobra has smaller scales but anyway...

What I did:

I have put skin on the desk up side down, roll one end "up side up" so scales raised and sprayed enamel under them. I rolled whole the skin by pulling that end and sprayed under the scales until it became wrong side down on the desk. Pressed scales a bit . Let skin sit there then paint 2 tandy's supershene on top.

WOW! I must be psychic! LOL....I just gave that idea a try. I also partially rolled the skin upward so when it dried I hope the latex enamel "bonds" it together. But then again...I'm not sure the enamel I'm using will work that good but if it does I'll post the results.

Thanks again!

Dano

WOW! I must be psychic! LOL....I just gave that idea a try. I also partially rolled the skin upward so when it dried I hope the latex enamel "bonds" it together. But then again...I'm not sure the enamel I'm using will work that good but if it does I'll post the results.

Thanks again!

Dano

Rolling the skin so the scales stood up worked out really good! TY for that suggestion Suicide.....I did it using a latex enamel spray and the scales got covered over and bonded good but the latex even though it was "glossy" came out cloudy. I sanded it smooth and sprayed a couple of coats of clear enamel and once it dried it looked very good. Nice and shiny like I wanted and I can roll the skin tight and it doesn't crack.

Thanks again for the help!

Dano

Rolling the skin so the scales stood up worked out really good! TY for that suggestion Suicide.....I did it using a latex enamel spray and the scales got covered over and bonded good but the latex even though it was "glossy" came out cloudy. I sanded it smooth and sprayed a couple of coats of clear enamel and once it dried it looked very good. Nice and shiny like I wanted and I can roll the skin tight and it doesn't crack.

Hi Dano,

Great it helped you, you always welcome!

Hi Dano,

Great it helped you, you always welcome!

OH, here's what I was making....

post-24232-000787800 1329405569_thumb.jp

Wow! Great job! Love them!

TY feel free to to give them a try, I just buffed them good with white then red rouge. Gotta be careful though, if you go too far the silver plate will rub off.

Thanks again everybody for the tips!

Dano