It's my fault for not clearing off my workspace while I dyed the edges of another belt but...

I got a drop of black water stain on a belt. I had already painted, oiled, resolened twice and was going to antique it, but then this happened. I tried to wipe it off and made it worse. I know it won't come off, so my question is: What would you do? I spent a lot of time on this so far, and I really like the belt. I wanted to keep it the natural oiled color, but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try dyeing the end (from where the tooling ends to the buckle end, but only inside the border) dark brown to make it less noticeable, or would that look stupid? When I put on the belt, the area where the blob is is covered by the tip of the belt. I'm so mad at myself. Any thoughts?

Oh, and as you can see in the photo, I had a slip with the groover, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much.

post-28241-025846200 1330626249_thumb.jp

Amadea,

As you have found out, stain does not come out, paint or edge enamel does come off. The operative words are out and off. Get some newspaper (not printed on) use this as a base to do wetwork on, have a bunch of layers of it on the bench and whenever it gets messy, strip off a layer or two. The newsprint really soaks up liquid fast and protects to a limited degree from carryover. You can get it as roll ends if you know someone at the local paper.

There are not many ways to fix it, but the easiest way is to cover it up, concho, rivet, Chicago screw, etc, etc. You may have to employ more than one to obtain symmetry. You could also make a decoration out of anything (like leather, especially an exotic or something cool) and sew it on.

Art

It's my fault for not clearing off my workspace while I dyed the edges of another belt but...

I got a drop of black water stain on a belt. I had already painted, oiled, resolened twice and was going to antique it, but then this happened. I tried to wipe it off and made it worse. I know it won't come off, so my question is: What would you do? I spent a lot of time on this so far, and I really like the belt. I wanted to keep it the natural oiled color, but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try dyeing the end (from where the tooling ends to the buckle end, but only inside the border) dark brown to make it less noticeable, or would that look stupid? When I put on the belt, the area where the blob is is covered by the tip of the belt. I'm so mad at myself. Any thoughts?

Oh, and as you can see in the photo, I had a slip with the groover, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Thanks for the reply, Art. Unfortunately, it's in a bad spot to attach anything, because it's where the tip of the belt will rest. I decided to dye it, and I used fiebings dark brown pro dye with a brush. It covered it up, but now the belt looks unbalanced so I guess I'll go ahead and use the same method on the background of the tooled area. I think it will actually look better that way, and contrast more with the washed colors in the tooling. I'm just dreading the tiny brush work and the risk of another mishap. Ugh. If all goes well, I'll put up a photo later.