ouchmyfinger

Sheridan Color Questions, Need Help Please

i have been using the ecoflo gel antique and just received my order from springfield to try the methods i have read about here as well as in the sheridan style leather carving book by bill gardner and clinton fay that i got off amazon a while back.

this is what i am using and what i did.

i just received my order from barry king and was excited to try em all out, i ordered the kit for small to medium size projects as well as a border and basket weave stamp. it is the first time i was able to use herman oak as well as clear lac and the antique paste so i was a little impatient on tooling the leather, i should have let it dry out a little more i think, any criticism on the tooling is appreciated as well, thanks in advance everyone

4 oz herman oak veg tan from springfield

100% pure neatsfoot oil

clearlac from springfield

fiebings sheridan brown antique paste

i did my tooling, let it dry and applied a coat of oil with a wool dauber

waited 20 hours and applied a coat of clear lac using cheesecloth since i had no wool scraps but it worked pretty good actually and left no fuzzes

waited 4 hours and applied the sheridan brown antique paste

waited aprox 1-2 min and wiped the residue off

i have not applied a final finish yet but i doubt that will change the color much

I'm trying to get that "magic" color that you always see, the sheridan book is full of examples, it seems that that color is almost a saddle tan or more golden color, i would be happy with either, i am getting a light brown

please help lol

ps the pattern is from chan gears book of billfolds and checkbook book that i got from sheridanleathercarving.com as an e book, it was a quick transaction and i saved it to a disk and had staples print it on some thicker paper and then put the pages in plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder with the tooled example page in front and the pattern behind it and one on the other side, i managed to put 2 of his books in a well organized binder only using 14 of those plastic sleeves, i am looking for as many floral patterns as i can get so if anyone has some or a good source i would appreciate that info too

post-27749-017534000 1331180219_thumb.jp

i have been using the ecoflo gel antique and just received my order from springfield to try the methods i have read about here as well as in the sheridan style leather carving book by bill gardner and clinton fay that i got off amazon a while back.

this is what i am using and what i did.

i just received my order from barry king and was excited to try em all out, i ordered the kit for small to medium size projects as well as a border and basket weave stamp. it is the first time i was able to use herman oak as well as clear lac and the antique paste so i was a little impatient on tooling the leather, i should have let it dry out a little more i think, any criticism on the tooling is appreciated as well, thanks in advance everyone

4 oz herman oak veg tan from springfield

100% pure neatsfoot oil

clearlac from springfield

fiebings sheridan brown antique paste

i did my tooling, let it dry and applied a coat of oil with a wool dauber

waited 20 hours and applied a coat of clear lac using cheesecloth since i had no wool scraps but it worked pretty good actually and left no fuzzes

waited 4 hours and applied the sheridan brown antique paste

waited aprox 1-2 min and wiped the residue off

i have not applied a final finish yet but i doubt that will change the color much

I'm trying to get that "magic" color that you always see, the sheridan book is full of examples, it seems that that color is almost a saddle tan or more golden color, i would be happy with either, i am getting a light brown

please help lol

ps the pattern is from chan gears book of billfolds and checkbook book that i got from sheridanleathercarving.com as an e book, it was a quick transaction and i saved it to a disk and had staples print it on some thicker paper and then put the pages in plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder with the tooled example page in front and the pattern behind it and one on the other side, i managed to put 2 of his books in a well organized binder only using 14 of those plastic sleeves, i am looking for as many floral patterns as i can get so if anyone has some or a good source i would appreciate that info too

that's about right for the sheridan brown.. you might try the mahogany and see if thats the color youre after

Edited by acowboy