Sign in to follow this  
AZ Pete

Purse Straps

Hi all -

I have been making whips for a short time and have enjoyed doing so. Recently. my wife's purse strap broke on one of her favorite purses. It was a 6 plait round braid strap (very cheep and not well made) over a length of flimsy rope. It does not seem like the best core for a purse strap. I was temped to make the strap as I would a whip (leather core, bolster to give me the thickness and a final overlay). However, that creates a very dense strap. I am not sure if that would be very comfortable to wear on the shoulder for any length of time even with very smooth plaiting. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the type of core to use for purse straps?

Thanks for the assistance!

AZ Pete

Pete

I have no idea on how to build a whip so if what I'm writing has already been tried. Ignore it. LOL

I would use a piece of round leather belting. If ya aint got none lying around ya can take and cut a strip of of leather that's kinda of square. Then take and edge all four corners so it's some what round. Next run it through a rein rounder. Or ya could braid a core so it comes out the right dia. There is also some good rope out there for tying halters. Check out ubraidit.com I think some of that rope would make a good core for ya.

Best of luck, Mike

Hi!

I would use paracord. It's not expensive and strong. Definitelly I would not make any kind of leather core because it will be longer to make and not better than paracord core. You can use with paracord strings to have proper thickness.

Karol

kiscienwhips.com