UnionCraft

Blanchard, Dixon Or Barnsley Knives

Does anyone know any in depth info on Blanchard and Dixon round knives? Hale and Co. said Barnsley knives are the best on the market for the price in his listing. The listing says it's made from the best carbon alloy steel and made in the same foundry for over 150 years. They are made from an English standard damascus steel that is very close to the metallurgy of medieval times. They're supposed to hold a keen edge and they are easy to sharpen when needed. I've become interested in European tools and techniques, so I love the idea of using tools from these makers. I just need to know where my money is best spent and Hale & Co. made a pretty good argument about the quality of Barnsley knives and other tools. Thanks for reading.

My hat is off to you for being able to navigate the Hale and Co website. If I want an exercise in frustration, I start about here - Hale and Co and see how many windows open up and unfinished pages there are. All I keep finding are lnks and quotes that The best tools for (insert trade here) come from Hale and Co. Maybe they do, but where do I find out what and why? Please post a link to the page that has prices or more information, I just can't find it.

Other than a couple Blanchards, I haven't had any new European knives to compare against the old ones. Barnsley has been out of business for some time and the story is that these are NOS tools that were found in a warehouse. Dixon and Blanchard are still making tools. I have had old Barnsley, Dixon, MF, and Blanchard knives and plough gauge knives and really don't have an opinion that would rank one consistantly over the other.

Thanks Bruce, it's great to get a reply from you. I've been frequenting your page to see if there're any tools I may be interested in. Anyways, I too have looked through their site which isn't up to date nor easy to browse through. I did get a chance to speak with Edwin Hale from Hale & Co. and he told me that they sell their tools on Bonanza.com. They have 349 items up for sale right now. They are actually trying to revive some of the Barnsley tools, so there are some still being made today. I think if the item is out of stock, they make the tools to order and ship it to you directly from England. Some tools however, will no longer be produced, so once they're sold out, they may never be made again. Here's the link for the head knife:

My link

Thanks for the link.That site is a lot easier to get through. I have a few concerns. When somebody is selling a punch for more money than a round knife and sewing palm for the same money that makes me wonder which is off there. If the plough gauge they show is a new one, I would be suspect of anything new they make. I use an old Barnsley plough and that one they are showing isn't in the same league. It isn't even close.

Hmmm, maybe I'll hold off of the round knife from Barnsley and try a Blanchard. Maybe I'll get one of Barnsley's general purpose knives since it's just $21. But for now, does anywhere else in the US sell Blanchard tools minus Siegal of CA?

I don't think anyone sells new Blanchards in the US. I believe there is a Dixon distributer on the east coast somewhere. If it doesn't have to be a new knife, I know I have a Dixon and may have a Blanchard too.

If the price is right, I don't mind if tools are used or new. Also, if you find out the JD supplier on the east coast, could you please let me know? I'm currently looking at various pricking irons and JD seems like what I'm going to choose. Their 1" No 6 shipped is a tad over $100 due to shipping being high. Why is everything so difficult to find. I'm also having difficulty finding 332 Fil Au Chinois in the US. Shipping is pricey from France. Almost everything I find, I spend hours looking for and the shipping costs are around the same price as the item itself. I really wish the supplies and tools I want are available in the US.

The prices I have seen on Barnsley tools are just too high. The really useful Barnsley tools can only be bought used, the heavily used tools have all been bought-up. There are better tool values in the current crop of American makers and used tool purveyors. Check Bruce Johnson's website for good used tools. I have bought from him and the tools are excellent. Try Bob Douglas if you can't find what you want from Bruce. Bob Douglas and Barry King both make a few good new tools too. CS Osborne tools are well made, readily available and usually not pre-sharpened.

Art

Hmmm, maybe I'll hold off of the round knife from Barnsley and try a Blanchard. Maybe I'll get one of Barnsley's general purpose knives since it's just $21. But for now, does anywhere else in the US sell Blanchard tools minus Siegal of CA?

I would not buy anything from this supplier, believing it is real George Barnsley and son tools, Sheffield. As everybody knows that company was closed down in 2003. http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=63682

It may be somebody bought the name, or it is possibly legal to use now; ten years after company closed down, who knows.

They can make his tools in China, and using a postbox address in Sheffield UK.

That plough gauge (as Bruce mention) is brand new, but look like is made out of a pattern for the earliest gauges; made nearly 200 years ago. Even stored in the global seed bank in Svalbard (Arctic), it would not look that new.

If somebody had a big lot of new/old Barnsley tools, purchased before company closed down. Why be secret about it? It would be worth a lot more sold as is, why take all the trouble claiming the company still exist the same as before.

A big lot of new/old tools are not likely to exist without any of our tool collectors and experts like Bruce knowing about it.

If anybody has started up producing leather tools in the UK again, we would also know about it before they had made one single tool.

It is called advertising.

Then allow up to 45 days of delivery (30 in handling and 15 on shipping) For the average Ebuyer a bell should start to ring. Is it not the same magical amount of days you have to complain with in, to get an Ebayers protection?

I do not know the Hale and Co, but to me it smells, like the famous small room.

But I am no expert, only a concern customer. :thumbsdown:

Does anyone know any in depth info on Blanchard and Dixon round knives? Hale and Co. said Barnsley knives are the best on the market for the price in his listing. The listing says it's made from the best carbon alloy steel and made in the same foundry for over 150 years. They are made from an English standard damascus steel that is very close to the metallurgy of medieval times. They're supposed to hold a keen edge and they are easy to sharpen when needed. I've become interested in European tools and techniques, so I love the idea of using tools from these makers. I just need to know where my money is best spent and Hale & Co. made a pretty good argument about the quality of Barnsley knives and other tools. Thanks for reading.

It seems like I totally missed the target here.:oops:

I am sorry if I have offended anybody, this story was unknown to me. I am glad I was wrong. But it does not hurt to be a bit careful with all these remaking, branding and copying by today. I guess there were a big lot of old/new tools after all. If some of the tools are made today, the plough gauge must be one of them. Look at Bruce’s website and blog to see the real deal. Look at Blanchard’s web site to see how the tool should look today too

http://www.vergez-blanchard.fr/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?type=31&code_lg=lg_fr&num=2

This was in 2009, and still Mister Hale does not have his website up running? Let us invite him in to this forum to answer directly too the customers, then maybe he will sell some more tools too. Somebody who has bought from him, please come forward:feedback:

About J. Dixon and Vergez Blanchard tool/ knifes. I have been using Blanchard’s knifes for many years, it is very good knifes. I got my first Dixon head knife today, it was a T. Dixon and it was unused (without an edge and with a new nice handle. Bought private). I am still not finished cold grinding an edge on to it, so I cannot help you. If it turns out to be very good, it is still not available anymore. However, his son J. Dixon still make tools, he is a member here too. (I have a Dixon plough gauge it is a good tool, but it is an old tool too and not comparable )

post-10237-076229000 1332985506_thumb.jp

post-10237-062269400 1332985540_thumb.jp

post-10237-044773600 1332985588_thumb.jp

Hey, thanks for sharing your T Dixon; it looks awesome. I think I will try to order some Barnsley tools just to check them out. If they're not as great as Blanchard or Dixon, I don't think I'll have regrets, because they'll most likely be better than my Tandy tools.

Everything is better than a Tandy knife.

If you buy a knife from Dixon it will not have an edge, the Blanchard has, but also need a lot of work. The Barnsley I do not know, but I do not feel secure about it yet. It is many hours grinding an edge on a knife like this, without a proper cold grinding tool and experience; it can be a real hustle. If you want a good knife, buy one from Bruce. You cannot get a new knife that compeer to the good old ones, without spending a fortune on a custom-made knife. Bruce’s tools are already polished and set up for use.

I just received an Osborne leather compass and an 8 inch splitting machine that I bought from him, I am very satisfied. And I am already ordering more from him. You had better buy from him, buying from Hale and Co you do not know if the knife is a good old one, or a poor quality remake. I buy a lot of old tools myself, now I have five old head knifes waiting to get the treatment; removing rust, grinding and wheel polishing. I am using a full day on one, and the prices on old knifes are very high (too many that collect them). Check EBay and you will see that Bruce has great prices on his tools.

That’s my two cents.

Hey, thanks for sharing your T Dixon; it looks awesome. I think I will try to order some Barnsley tools just to check them out. If they're not as great as Blanchard or Dixon, I don't think I'll have regrets, because they'll most likely be better than my Tandy tools.

If the price is right, I don't mind if tools are used or new. Also, if you find out the JD supplier on the east coast, could you please let me know? I'm currently looking at various pricking irons and JD seems like what I'm going to choose. Their 1" No 6 shipped is a tad over $100 due to shipping being high. Why is everything so difficult to find. I'm also having difficulty finding 332 Fil Au Chinois in the US. Shipping is pricey from France. Almost everything I find, I spend hours looking for and the shipping costs are around the same price as the item itself. I really wish the supplies and tools I want are available in the US.

I am having the exact same problem. I too have recently been looking for various tools from Blanchard and 532 Fil Au Chinois. It's so frustrating. Blanchard states on their website that they will ignore all orders less than 100 euro. All I wanted was their flat awls, a round knife and maybe a pricking iron but I emailed them and have yet to be replied to. They really need U S suppliers.

That will be about 100 euro.

I f you only need a Blanchard round or skiving knife, I know a Danish site that sells them at a good price. The best thing is that they wiil not charge you any Danish (EU) tax, thats 25 % off the price you see on the website. They do not have so many Blanchard tools, but they have the best European prices I have seen. http://laederiet.dk/produkter/vistyper_engelsk.asp?id=24&Uid=33 It will be about 37,50 Euro for the 12,5 cm Blanchard round knife (plus shipping) I also find Blanchard and Dixon difficult to deal with, I buy old tools instead.

Trox

I am having the exact same problem. I too have recently been looking for various tools from Blanchard and 532 Fil Au Chinois. It's so frustrating. Blanchard states on their website that they will ignore all orders less than 100 euro. All I wanted was their flat awls, a round knife and maybe a pricking iron but I emailed them and have yet to be replied to. They really need U S suppliers.

I actually had a friend order a Blanchard saddle clamp for me. I think it cost around $140 shipped to the US from France. I later discovered Siegal of CA and I think their price was around $80, but I'm not even sure if they were in stock at the time. I'd get the Fil Au Chinois from Sajou.fr, but shipping cost is almost the same as a 50g spool. For two spools shipped to the US, it would cost about $136. I think it only makes sense to order from them if you order in bulk, but that's expensive.

I already tried them before. When you check out, you have to wait for them to send you an email to make payment. The total cost with shipping to me is $79.35 for the round knife only. Siegal of CA sells them for $65 and ships free on all orders $75 and over, so adding a few more supplies will get you free shipping.

I f you only need a Blanchard round or skiving knife, I know a Danish site that sells them at a good price. The best thing is that they wiil not charge you any Danish (EU) tax, thats 25 % off the price you see on the website. They do not have so many Blanchard tools, but they have the best European prices I have seen. http://laederiet.dk/...sp?id=24&Uid=33 It will be about 37,50 Euro for the 12,5 cm Blanchard round knife (plus shipping) I also find Blanchard and Dixon difficult to deal with, I buy old tools instead.

Trox

Then you will better buy from Siegal, I already have ten knifes from Blanchard so I am OK.

The free shipping from Siegal is it for US customers only?

I live in Norway, I have bought some tools from that Danish company before, the shipping is not much for me.

I already tried them before. When you check out, you have to wait for them to send you an email to make payment. The total cost with shipping to me is $79.35 for the round knife only. Siegal of CA sells them for $65 and ships free on all orders $75 and over, so adding a few more supplies will get you free shipping.

I f you only need a Blanchard round or skiving knife, I know a Danish site that sells them at a good price. The best thing is that they wiil not charge you any Danish (EU) tax, thats 25 % off the price you see on the website. They do not have so many Blanchard tools, but they have the best European prices I have seen. http://laederiet.dk/...sp?id=24&Uid=33 It will be about 37,50 Euro for the 12,5 cm Blanchard round knife (plus shipping) I also find Blanchard and Dixon difficult to deal with, I buy old tools instead.

Trox

Thanks for the tip Trox. I just ordered the Blanchard round knife. Now just waiting for the email for the final price.

You're lucky to be in Europe haha. Getting everything i want is too costly overseas. I think the free shipping is only for US customers. In your collection of blanchard knives, do you have a curved knife? I think I need one to do my round cuts and the head knife for straight cuts. I heard the pulling motion is better to control with the curved knife when making round cuts.

I would claim it is the other way around, you can get much more tools and stuff in the US than in Europe. I buy very much in the your country I can not get here.

I use my headknife for all cutting, except cutting around patterns. When you master the headknife you will use it for anything, skiving, cutting tigh corner with the tip`s. Rolling and angled cut, it is the most importent leather tools of all.

I have round knifes, halv round ( Cornettes on French) and skiving knifes in Blanchard. Im am waiting for two older French round knifes (bought on EBay) of unknown maker. I am very exited about what they are, removing the patina to see the maker stamp.

The French leather art from the time of Ludvik XIV " the sun king" is fantastic, they created the most unbelivable pieces of art. The tools they used was also the best. France has great traditions, it is a lot of beautiful old tools still around.

You're lucky to be in Europe haha. Getting everything i want is too costly overseas. I think the free shipping is only for US customers. In your collection of blanchard knives, do you have a curved knife? I think I need one to do my round cuts and the head knife for straight cuts. I heard the pulling motion is better to control with the curved knife when making round cuts.

I would claim it is the other way around, you can get much more tools and stuff in the US than in Europe. I buy very much in the your country I can not get here.

I use my headknife for all cutting, except cutting around patterns. When you master the headknife you will use it for anything, skiving, cutting tigh corner with the tip`s. Rolling and angled cut, it is the most importent leather tools of all.

I have round knifes, halv round ( Cornettes on French) and skiving knifes in Blanchard. Im am waiting for two older French round knifes (bought on EBay) of unknown maker. I am very exited about what they are, removing the patina to see the maker stamp.

The French leather art from the time of Ludvik XIV " the sun king" is fantastic, they created the most unbelivable pieces of art. The tools they used was also the best. France has great traditions, it is a lot of beautiful old tools still around.

Well looking for Blanchard & Dixon tools or Fil Au Chinois or Campbells thread is harder to get here as apposed to Europe. What other tool makers are there from France, the only company I know is Blanchard.

I do not kow of any other than Blanchard that still makes tools. A old one is Mayer Flamery Paris.

Well looking for Blanchard & Dixon tools or Fil Au Chinois or Campbells thread is harder to get here as apposed to Europe. What other tool makers are there from France, the only company I know is Blanchard.

I have a pretty cool old French pattern Mayer-Flamery knife I skive with. I've had some Mayer-Flamery plough gauges and they are pretty comparable with the old Blanchards.

The reason why Barnsley tools are higher priced is because the materials used to make the grade of steel they use have increased quite a bit and are not always readily available at previous prices. There are only a couple mills still producing the metal the tools require. You want quality reliable tools? No matter what product you buy today if it is well made it will cost more. If you want to buy cheap then eventially the quality items will no longer be available. As far as Hale and Company's web site : It is taking Mr. Hale a Long time to get his site complete since he had to learn code and such on his own to get his site the way he wants it to make it easy for people to go through. You want tools just call him and ask. The quality of the tools are the same as the old stock.

Frank