Newfman

Hole For Bucking Rolls?

I know, tons of questions. I assure you, I have been wearing down the search engine on this website.

Anyhow, Dale Harwood mentions that he "makes a hole" for attaching the bucking rolls for folks that want rolls. He said he had seen how cowboys had carved holes in their saddle to attach the strings to, so he just puts it in during the finishing stage. It keeps the rolls from sliding up the pommel where they do no good. I can relate to that. Unfortunately. . .He didn't show it on the video!

Does anyone else do that here? What and when. How do you make a nice finish of lacing the bucking rolls in place. He said he does it just above his brand stamp, just below the hand hole. Haven't found an example. It is about a 1/2" hole (?).

Is there a nice clean way to modify an existing saddle? Another thread got me thinkin about this. If you have photos, that would be really helpful, but an explanation would work well too.

Thanks folks,

Cheers,

Dennis

Dennis, I've attached a pic of one of my saddles with the rolls installed...you may not be able to see, but there is a 1/2" bag punch hole just ahead of my maker's stamp...as I wrap the latigo around the wraps between dees I run the tail through that slot one time and then keep wrapping from left to right. Hope you can understand. I don't have a pic handy without the rolls on the saddle

post-3534-060430700 1332990417_thumb.jpg

Nice saddle. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

So, you started your finished wraps in the middle, going through the slot, and then continued towards the rools, and pulled the ends under the wraps to finish? (Was that clear as mud?)

You don't finish the ends in the slot and fasten them underneath. (Which wouldn't be as strong I would think.)

If someone brought you a saddle and wanted bucking rolls added, could you safely punch that slot cleanly? Is that the 'industry standard' way of doing it, or would you discuss this with the customer first and offer it up as a more functional way to install them so they don't rise?

Out here, in New England, when you do see a wade or slick fork with rolls, they are just screwed and then laced across the hand hold. It does tend to get the rolls to slide up towards the horn should your horse decide to test your seat, and it also puts the latigo strings right across the middle of the hand hold. That is how mine is (for now) and it looks crappy to boot.

Yours looks more functional and like they belong, and not so much like a Mercedes hood ornament on a Hyundai. Having matching leather rolls helps too, instead of just any pair off the shelf. The ones that came on my saddle, added on by the previous owner, don't match the saddle leather. Yup, sounds like a project.

Dennis

Dennis, I start wrapping from left to right...and run the one wrap so it comes up through the hole and then just keep going until I have wrapped all the way to the other dee. As per punching the hole in a saddle that doesn't have one, you can use a plier punch and make two holes 1/2" apart and cut between carefully with a knife. I punch my slot before the final install of the seat. Hope this helps some more

Thanks Elton

Good idea.

Dennis