Sign in to follow this  
ironhead13

Starting A Seat

Alright, first seat or at least first seat with foam.

Made the pan, hammered against a acetlyne bottle cap. Two halves, 16g with a 1 1/2 x 3/16 brace inside up the middle. It ain't bending. Did it this way, not only out of boredom but that's how I wanted to do it. Hadn't messed with any real metal projects since the company I worked for shut down, so even if it sucks it was much needed.

The foam is just from an old seat. Had to do what I had to do to make it work. Doing this on the cheap. May try to fill the spot or redo the nose....anyhow. Thickest part is about an inch or so, the shape is mostly in the top portion of the sheet metal and tried to get the foam cut down to match. Cannot stand thick foam, the harder the seat the better.

Tooling wise, I wasn't going to do much of anything. But, I've got what I guess you could say is the "bug" from the recent belts I've been doing. However, I will be going WAY beyond my limited to non-existant skill level... all or nothing... I suppose you could say. Not 100% set on exactly what Im doing here yet... Either way Im sure I'll hate myself more when I do.

Anyhow, the reason for putting this up:

Not sure what to expect. I want (or at least think I want) to do the leather in two pieces, top and bottom. I'll be using 6-7oz I think it is. If I do the two peice deal, will the top peace lay against the curve I have in the foam or am I setting myself up for failure here?

Haven't decided on what lacing to do yet, open to suggestions on what may be best for the pan. Would like to to try the round braid... not sure if that will work ok or not to be honest with this. I probably will not be using kangaroo....

Anyhow, heres the pan. I may mess with the foam more (it could be better I know) .... I suppose that depends on how bored I become before it's said and done!

seata.jpg

You can always call me. I have a US number on my web site. There is some things about covering top and bottom you need to know.

Basically your leather on the top should bend down to the bottom of the pan and be 5mm longer for the lace.

Glue the bottom leather on the pan and again mark and cut 5mm away from the edge so when you lace it together you have a nice flat lip joining the top and bottom pieces so they lace tight.

I just use a wing divider an mark the leather with the pan over my knee so I can work the bend and get a proper mark....

Do ya smell what I'm cookin?

Punch the holes on the top first the place it on the foam. Make some marks top,bottom,left,right, That way when you glue the top piece on to the foam you know where to line it up correctly. And use a pencil through the holes to the bottom and then punch those separately.

Because of the bend and shape of the pan the top and bottom pieces of leather will be different shapes, but when joined together they will match up...this is why it is a pain in the arse!

I've got something thinking to do yet. What Im gonna to attempt to tool, I shouldn't be trying. So Im gonna be doing some parts on scraps and see what Im gonna need to learn or figure out for certain area's. Gonna try not to bomb toooo big! Gotta practice the pear shader for sure, will need them, and I suck terribly using them the few times I've tried!!! This is all in the attempt to just go the F for it.

Got what your saying about the leather. I think I mostly had a similar idea, as I was going to cut the top to come down and meet the sheet metal.

Now for your knee trick, is that with foam or without? (the confusion comes from thinking of the foam compressing when lacing tight)

Now for your knee trick, is that with foam or without? (the confusion comes from thinking of the foam compressing when lacing tight)

What I got out of it was to hold the leather against the curvature of the pan with your knee so you can get an accurate mark. If you just marked it flat on the table, your leather will be too small because you have to account for the depth of the seat pan.

WITH THE FOAM:)

TOP PIECE;

LEATHER FACE DOWN, SEAT FACE DOWN ON TOP OVER YOUR KNEE SO YOU CAN WORK THE LEATHER UP TO THE METAL AND MARK IT 5MM AWAY FROM TEH METAL....WING DIVIDER ...TRACE WITH 5MM GAP.

BOTTOM;

GLUE/ OR HOLD SQUARE OR RUFF CUT TO THE BOTTOM, WING DIVIDER TRACE AROUND WITH 5MM GAP.

DON'T OVER THINK IT...JUST DO IT.

Edited by chancey77

Word.

Sometime this weekend I may get started. Wasn't really over thinking it, just I could have seen it go both ways with the additional space and such.

Fixing an intake leak right now.

I've commited to the final design. Im pushing my luck and limits with it. 4 faces + limited tooling experience should prove to be a learning/frustrating experience. I did a test of the toughest face last night, though not perfect by anymeans, I kinda got a feel for what I should do in certain parts. We'll see. I won't be afraid to post updates regardless of the outcome. I truely have no shame. Including the test piece when I finish this will be roughly my 10th time carving a project. Hell I could go 35mph all day... but I'd rather go 100.

Burned 3 tanks of gas today raising hell (no wonder Im broke.... ), gonna wrap up something I started last week and should be starting this tomorrow.

blahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gif motorblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifleaky intakeblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gif3tanks of gasblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifwoohoo hell ya!

Sucks don't it!innocent.gif

blahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gif motorblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifleaky intakeblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gif3tanks of gasblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifblahblahblah.gifwoohoo hell ya!

Sucks don't it!innocent.gif

2750.gifemot-suicide.gifArt_Fail_Suicide_Emoticon_by_Your_F.gif

Well I said I would post progress regardless how bad.... The passing storms, danzig 4 were the soundtracks. har har.

seatswivelknife.jpg

seatstop1.jpg

Edited by ironhead13

Fitting soundtrack :)

Now Back To Work!!

OK NOW I AM SLAKING!

I have this customer I have been putting off and now her seat is in my workroom...adding BS stuff to it! ARGH!!!! I have to get it over with so I can get on the new custom seat!

That Picture is pretty wicked bro! Looks like you are swinging right through it!

LOOKS GREAT FROM MY HOUSE! :)

Ha, well thanks. Im actually surprising myself abit so far. Luckily, I did those belts before hand and cut all those letters I seem a bit more confident with the swivel. Im using tools I've never touched, learned I like the figure bevelers the most.... though from looking through some catalogues I'd like to have some of the matting tools for this.

I should be getting back on it tonight, tooling should be done maybe Friday. Then it will have to sit for a while. Got more of those belts to design and do. Then I can do the bottom....figure out the final finish color (im thinking black, natural and antique... ) Then I'll have to wait till I can buy the lace and such.... though Im kinda considering to just saddle stitch.

Got a touch further. Trying so friggen hard to not wreck "lou's" face or at least wrecked no more than the others !!!

No clue what so ever what Im gonna do backgrounding wise, though Im getting close to it.

Soundtrack as continued to Danzig 1, 2 and 3. It sets the right mood for this... I miss the old line up so much!

seatnun.jpg

I threw my arm in for "scale". Now it just seems pointless that I did. :brainbleach:

seatscale.jpg

I'm voting no background. Just let it all fade into the seat color.

And quit stressing. It's coming out better and better with every picture.

Well this is all Im doing to it. Not perfect by any means. Will be a while before I can go further. Color wise, I think Im just going to look into antique, something dark.. don't know never used the stuff. Either way... I get to do more letters tomorrow... yay....

seattopdone.jpg