pavilionpony

straight stitch lines/holes

I'm just curious what everyone uses to get straight stitch holes/lines to go along with my creaser tool. I just ordered a thonging chisel set for punching the holes. I'm tired of putting them all in with an awl; and thats rough on the wrist and hand. So, what do you use?

I use a sewing machine. I do occasionally hand stitch, but usually only a few stitches, maybe 5 to 10 to get somewhere the machine won't go, like under large belt loops. When I first started, I used an awl in the drill press (not running) to make the holes, you could also use a sewing machine needle. If you use a stitch wheel before punching the holes, your spacing will be even. Things with uneven spacing or where you have to be in a groove on both the top and bottom of the work will require the use of the awl, toe plugs in holsters and casework come to mind.

One famous (or infamous) saddle maker uses a dremel to drill holes for stitching, just don't go too big on the holes.

Art

I'm just curious what everyone uses to get straight stitch holes/lines to go along with my creaser tool. I just ordered a thonging chisel set for punching the holes. I'm tired of putting them all in with an awl; and thats rough on the wrist and hand. So, what do you use?

When you use the chisel, lightly scribe a line along the edge of the leather. This gives you a guide to follow and stay straight. Then, when you start, overlap the first tong in the last hole so that you only gain n-1 holes per punch. N being the number of tongs on the lacing chisel. Then just walk you way down the edge.

Mike

My technique is to ensure my edges are STRAIGHT. I use a stationary belt sander to ensure the edges are straight and square.

I use a sewing machine 99% of the time, but whether you are using an awl or thong chisel, I think it would help you to make a couple passes with a stitch grover. This will help you keep a little more straight and allow for a "sweet spot" for your stitch holes. As I said, this is my technique. I'm sure there are many more.

Without going into too much detail, I crease first, then use a pricking iron. You still have to use an awl to actually cut the holes though. Pricking irons are kind of expensive and if you try to punch it all the way through, you may break off some teeth. The cuts made by the iron will actually guide your awl through the leather at a consistant angle and make average stitching look very good.

When I used pricking wheels, no matter how I tried, the stitches weren't nearly as consistant, although they looked fine to me then.

99% of the time you should be stitching toward yourself.

One thing I do that you're not supposed to, is cut my holes all at one time first. That way my elbow and wrist are at a constant angle and so go the holes. Otherwise if I have to answer the phone or wait on a customer, I can sometimes see where I stopped and started again. By the way \\\\\\\ not ///////. Good luck, Kevin