Sign in to follow this  
tenabrae

Dragon-Slayer Helm

This is my first full helm build. It's based off an adjusted pattern from the Armour Archive (I used the basic framework and added my own cheek pieces and had to redesign the 6 helm plates as they didnt really fit well). This is definitely costume-grade and there are a few things i'll do differently next time I make a helm. The thing I was most happy with besides it looking great, is that it fits me perfectly so I must have got my leather thickness adjustment pretty correct :D

This was also my first go at airbrushing, all the scaled areas are acrylic ink & antiquing... The antiquing stripped off a lot of the ink leaving only the white but I really liked the effect so I did it on all 6 plates and I reckon i'll use it again (and varnish first before antiquing if I want to avoid it).

dragonslayer_001.jpg

dragonslayer_002.jpg

dragonslayer_003.jpg

dragonslayer_004.jpg

dragonslayer_005.jpg

The horns are resin, sculpted and cast in my workshop.

thats really cool.

the only thing i dont like is the band around the center pressing in where the rivet is,but its a cool design.

I agree that is a little unnatractive. The pattern I used does a couple of things in ways that didn't really work for me in construction and that's one of the things I'll tweak next time i build a helm like this. I also want to try making one where the inner cap is "dished" from a single piece which will make it much harder to tool, but be stronger and i think nicer looking.

All that said i'm very happy with this poece :)