Sign in to follow this  
rccolt45

Round Punch

Not to sound like a smart a**, but it depends on how sharp you get it or how sharp you like them. Some people like them sharp enough to almost use by hand and others like a blunt edge and beat on them. Personal preference, kind of like strap end punches. It depends on the type of punch too. The thin walled maxi and mini punch tubes can sure benefit from sharpening more than they come out of the package. Get too fine an edge though and the edge collapses and rolls from not having enough material backing the edge. The drive punches have more material and I like a really fine edge. I take it out to a foil edge on a slack belt. Then I strop that off on a firm buff wheel with green compound. I take a small awl or nail wrapped with fine wet'dry paper and run it around the inside to make a light micro bevel inside the punch and remove any foil edge that flipped in. A couple times of each and I'm good.

If it isn't taken out to a foil edge, there isn't much point in stropping one in my mind.

1335565221[/url]' post='245502']

Not to sound like a smart a**, but it depends on how sharp you get it or how sharp you like them. Some people like them sharp enough to almost use by hand and others like a blunt edge and beat on them. Personal preference, kind of like strap end punches. It depends on the type of punch too. The thin walled maxi and mini punch tubes can sure benefit from sharpening more than they come out of the package. Get too fine an edge though and the edge collapses and rolls from not having enough material backing the edge. The drive punches have more material and I like a really fine edge. I take it out to a foil edge on a slack belt. Then I strop that off on a firm buff wheel with green compound. I take a small awl or nail wrapped with fine wet'dry paper and run it around the inside to make a light micro bevel inside the punch and remove any foil edge that flipped in. A couple times of each and I'm good.

If it isn't taken out to a foil edge, there isn't much point in stropping one in my mind.

Thanks Bruce,

Can I ask what a foil edge means?This is a 1" inch half round punch that you would use on say a holster strap. It's not the best quality but I will make due with it till I can afford a good one. I believe it's made of aluminum . Anyway. I take a round stone to file the burs on the inside then use a rough and fine flat stone on the outside. I would like it very sharp. So how do I go about stroking it? And should I strop both the inside and outside radius?

Thanks rob

Rob, I am sure there a few different terms, but a burr or foil edge is what I am referring to. Basically taking the edge out to a feather edge. Then stropping off the bur to leave that fine edge. It is even easier for me to do a strap end punch. You can use stones or some sort of abrasive to profile the edge and then raise the burr or foil. I strop them off with a firm buffing wheel and green compound. I strop inside and out.

1335618137[/url]' post='245561']

Rob, I am sure there a few different terms, but a burr or foil edge is what I am referring to. Basically taking the edge out to a feather edge. Then stropping off the bur to leave that fine edge. It is even easier for me to do a strap end punch. You can use stones or some sort of abrasive to profile the edge and then raise the burr or foil. I strop them off with a firm buffing wheel and green compound. I strop inside and out.

Thanks so much. I will give it a try.