Sign in to follow this  
superfastjellyfish

Machine To Cut Strips Like Pinking Shears

Hi, I'm trying to find out if a tool exists or if i will have to make it from scratch.

I'm making handlebar wraps for bicycles. I can get the hides i want cut into strips easily. But I'm having trouble finding tools for the other thing.

I need to cut a "gimping" or "wingtip" type pattern on one edge. I can make it with pinking shears but it would take a lot of time. Is there any type of cutting wheel that will make this kind of pattern? It would be easiest to get a wheel for the strip cutter and run the whole hide through.

I have used the pinking and scalloping 45 mm blades for roller cutters to make that look. I use a metal yard stick as a guide. I have done from chap leather to 13 oz with them. There are some old hand crank scalloping wheel tools that clamp on a bench too. Usually sell for $75-100 in the antique stores.

I have used the pinking and scalloping 45 mm blades for roller cutters to make that look. I use a metal yard stick as a guide. I have done from chap leather to 13 oz with them. There are some old hand crank scalloping wheel tools that clamp on a bench too. Usually sell for $75-100 in the antique stores.

thanks i'll have to look around some more.

You can check with the taxidermy supply houses, they usally have something for doing bear rugs.

thanks i'll have to look around some more.

I was in Sheridan for the leather show and went over to Sheridan Leather. Luke and Vandy had at least two there for sale. They are used but appeared to be in good shape.

Yes. Weavers, Randall may have a rebuilt one.

ok next question. Is there a similar rotary machine that will punch holes in strips?

I think I found what you are speaking of. Master Tools Rotary Punch

http://www.leathersupply.com/downloads/catalog/Master%20Tools%20Machinery%20&%20Equipment.pdf

any idea what one of these machines would cost? i'm guessing new at least 1000?

Is Randall the forum members display name?

Yes. Weavers, Randall may have a rebuilt one.

Edited by superfastjellyfish

Web site is campbell-randall.com. check the rebuilt machines, check with Dan when you call.

I think I found what you are speaking of. Master Tools Rotary Punch

http://www.leathersu...20Equipment.pdf

any idea what one of these machines would cost? i'm guessing new at least 1000?

Is Randall the forum members display name?