Sign in to follow this  
Chief31794

Anyone Here From Georgia?

I'm in the Savannah / Hinesville / Ft. Stewart area. (usually) Right now I am in Afghanistan. I am a total noob, just getting started. I haven't posted pics of anything because it all looks like total crap in comparison to what I see on this website.

Until Recently, Ringgold, GA here. As far north as you can get along I75 before heading into Tenn.

Now I'm just across the border in Chattanooga, TN.

I'm in the Savannah / Hinesville / Ft. Stewart area. (usually) Right now I am in Afghanistan. I am a total noob, just getting started. I haven't posted pics of anything because it all looks like total crap in comparison to what I see on this website.

Floyd,

First, thanks for your service, I retired at Fort Stewart in 1990, still go back there every year or so. Take care of yourself in Afghanistan and if you are an NCO or Officer, make sure you take care of your soldiers. Second, keep at the leatherwork, it will improve. If you get a chance to come over Tifton way, send me a PM and maybe we could get together, tell war stories and look around the shop a little.

Chief

I may have to take you up on that. It would be very interesting to see a shop. I'm afraid that with the limited room I have in my tent, I don't qualify as a shop. More like a shack or hovel. It will be a while though, I'm still in Afghanistan for a couple more months, then when I get back to Georgia, I have some "catching up" to do with the wife. I really appreciate the offer, and will definitely hit you up if I'm ever over that way.

Thanks,

Floyd

Floyd,

First, thanks for your service, I retired at Fort Stewart in 1990, still go back there every year or so. Take care of yourself in Afghanistan and if you are an NCO or Officer, make sure you take care of your soldiers. Second, keep at the leatherwork, it will improve. If you get a chance to come over Tifton way, send me a PM and maybe we could get together, tell war stories and look around the shop a little.

Chief

Until Recently, Ringgold, GA here. As far north as you can get along I75 before heading into Tenn.

Now I'm just across the border in Chattanooga, TN.

Hey I am in Rossville I live just off State Line Road about a half a mile from Lake Winnie. :thumbsup:

Hey I am in Rossville I live just off State Line Road about a half a mile from Lake Winnie. :thumbsup:

Ha! I'm on the TN side of State Line, close to the back of East Ridge High.

Small World

I live on Mineola Ave which is right behind the high school soft ball field.

Im here from north atlanta GA.

ive been doing this for about eight years. I do a bit of this and that, but I work with leather and do costuming and prop building.

Funny little world indeed. All of 20 seconds or so from where I live, hehe.

Funny little world indeed. All of 20 seconds or so from where I live, hehe.

So what kind of leather work are you involved with?

I am a gunsmith but I am wanting to get back into making some gun leather, belts bags , just easy stuff that I can sell at flea markets and swap meets

Got any used tools you are looking to sell I might be interested.

At the moment I make cell phone cases, Kindle cases, iPad cases and the like.

I'm still rather new to the whole thing, so all of my tools are newish and still in use, heh.

I live in Alabama, and have for a LONG time, but since I was born in Savannah, I guess I can chime in here since I'm FROM Georgia.

I've still got family all over S. GA, and also in the ATL area. I don't get over that way much anymore, but you never know.....

I'm on St. Simons Island on the Atlantic coast roughly half way between Jacksonville and Savannah. The only other leatherworker I know down this way is Carlos Lopez who runs the Rancho No Tengo saddle shop in Kingsland just North of the Florida line off I-95. He's in his 70's and doesn't do "on-line" so I don't expect that he will check in on the Forum. :coffeecomp:

Mike

At the moment I make cell phone cases, Kindle cases, iPad cases and the like.

I'm still rather new to the whole thing, so all of my tools are newish and still in use, heh.

I know what you mean I used to have every leather working tool you could think of but sold it all about 25 years ago now I am finding my self buying tools a piece at a time and these tools are not cheap.

I am going to get started back tooling leather and make some holsters belts and cases

hopefully I can get over to tandy and pick up a half shoulder in a couple of weeks.after Iget this Long Rifle I am building finished and make me a stitching pony.

i guess for the type of cases you are making you are using 5 to 6 OZ tooling leather?

have you been to the store on bonny oaks?

the last time I bought leather was when they were down on broad street and not sure if the same people own the store on bonny oaks

maybe once I get my garage cleaned up and start pounding on some leather we can meet up sometime,

Sylvester GA here. Been making my own holsters and belts for the last 25 years. Sell a few at the firehouse. Great hobby.

Sylvester GA here. Been making my own holsters and belts for the last 25 years. Sell a few at the firehouse. Great hobby.

I'm in Tifton, sell at craft fairs and markets in the area and on ETSY. Didn't know anyone was this close that does leather work. I've been carving and working in leather for about 45 years.

Chief

i guess for the type of cases you are making you are using 5 to 6 OZ tooling leather?

have you been to the store on bonny oaks?

I can make do with any thickness that I get. I can't keep different thicknesses stocked, due to income issues, so, when I buy leather, any thing I make is out of whatever thickness I have enough of at the time, hehe.

Yeah, I've been out to the Bonny Oaks Tandy. It's where I go if I'm in need of something quick, otherwise I order through SLC. Jim is pretty nice down there at Tandy though, hehe.

The leather they have usually isn't fantastic, but you can usually find a few good bits among their stuff.

I honestly don't know who owned it when it was on Broad, I haven't been doing the leather stuff for that long.

Edited by Tzalabak

I can make do with any thickness that I get. I can't keep different thicknesses stocked, due to income issues, so, when I buy leather, any thing I make is out of whatever thickness I have enough of at the time, hehe.

Yeah, I've been out to the Bonny Oaks Tandy. It's where I go if I'm in need of something quick, otherwise I order through SLC. Jim is pretty nice down there at Tandy though, hehe.

The leather they have usually isn't fantastic, but you can usually find a few good bits among their stuff.

I honestly don't know who owned it when it was on Broad, I haven't been doing the leather stuff for that long.

Well I understand about financial situations

is Jim a big heavy fella? If so it is the same guy who used to run the Broad street Location because that guys name was Jim too and a really nice guy,

The Broad street location was a pretty good sized wearhouse and had a large selection of leathers in any grade or type you wanted

I always had to get the economy tooling shoulders because they were priced good and weren't too bad looking once they were tooled.

even untooled the stuff i made looked pretty good once they were dyed

i like working with the thinner leathers because it is a lot easier to stitch

I bought some plans for building the Stitching Champ Leather Clamp Stitching Pony

I am thinking about making a few extra and sell them to finance some supplies,

I just need to figure out what a fair price would be, they are pretty nice stitching ponys

They sit on the floor and the clamp has a foot lever for easy clamping and unclamping

and the right height for sitting down to do the stitching.

Stitching%20Champ%20Leather%20Clamp.JPG

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

Howdy,

Born and bred in Warner Robins, GA......served in USAF for 7 years. Have been doing leather since I was 13.....now 48. Check out some of my items at:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/All-Star-Leatherworks-by-Jeff-Chandler/169540536455857

Thanks,

Jeff Chandler

I'm down in the Columbus area. Fairly new to the craft, but having fun with it.

Welcome aboard Jon. I'm in Tifton not too far away.

Chief