Sign in to follow this  
BurnTheBarrels

Where To Start With A Limited Budget?

My project idea is to make a simple sheath for a Leatherman's tool and a small knife (the same size/width as the Leatherman's tool).

What tools will I absolutely need for this kind of project? What are some substitutes that might be around the home that would work?

What kind of material will I need?

Also, the sheath I saw that I liked looked like it was laced together. Like the lace went around the two, binding them together. I don't know the proper terms/what exactly it was, sorry. It looks hand sewn but it could've been done with a machine for all I know.

I was also wondering what the purpose of sewing around the edge of non-adjoining pieces was? Is it just presentation?

Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like I keep repeating myself, lol.

Here is what you will basicly need.

LEATHER

RAZOR KNIFE,

HOLE PUNCH

6 RIVITS AND A RIVIT SETTER SET

2 SNAPS AND A SNAP SETTER SET

DYE/ OR OIL

8X'S THE CIRCUMFERENCE FOR A DOUBLE LOOP STITCH HAND LACED AROUND THE BORDER

THAT SHOULD GET YOU ALL SORTED TO TACKLE THAT PROJECT:)

AND HERE IS THE LINK FOR THE TERMS AND LACE STYLES....

http://www.scribd.co...r-Leather-Craft

GOOD LUCK AND YOU HAVE A ROCKIN' FORUM NAME! BTW!

OH YA;

As far as the lacing all the way around thing : it is just a matter of preference, but the lace does in my opinion look good that way, but it really just depends on the knife. If you look in my gallery you will find one that is just laced around the blade section and a fold over riveted flap for the belt to go through.

LATER ON DUDE!

CHANCEY

Edited by chancey77

What type of leather and what weight?

For the lacing, will I need a needle? If so, what kind?

What's the difference between a rivet setter and a snap setter?

What kind of lace?

And how should this be finished?

What type of leather and what weight?

For the lacing, will I need a needle? If so, what kind?

What's the difference between a rivet setter and a snap setter?

What kind of lace?

And how should this be finished?

I'll take a shot at these:

Vegetable Tanned Leather, about 5 oz (5/64" thick), but this is up to you could go heavier or lighter depending on your preference.

You will need at least 1 needle for the lacing, most use the double prong needle shown below

The rivet setter and snap setter have two different surfaces, however you can get everything you need in one set for ~$20.00, I've attached a picture of them as well

Your choice on lace, I would use 3/32" leather lace.

Your choice on finishing, use leather dye to achieve the color you want, let it dry then finish with resolene, super sheen, tankote (my favorite), etc.

Hope this helps, if you have a local Tandy store go there and they will assist you, if not, checkout their site http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/home.aspx?navlocation=top

they have many instructional videos (Free) that will show you how to lace, how to set snaps and rivets, dying finishing, etc.

Hope this helps, good luck,

Ken

post-6362-023556700 1339154139_thumb.jpg

post-6362-013074600 1339154141_thumb.jpg

I'll take a shot at these:

Vegetable Tanned Leather, about 5 oz (5/64" thick), but this is up to you could go heavier or lighter depending on your preference.

You will need at least 1 needle for the lacing, most use the double prong needle shown below

The rivet setter and snap setter have two different surfaces, however you can get everything you need in one set for ~$20.00, I've attached a picture of them as well

Your choice on lace, I would use 3/32" leather lace.

Your choice on finishing, use leather dye to achieve the color you want, let it dry then finish with resolene, super sheen, tankote (my favorite), etc.

Hope this helps, if you have a local Tandy store go there and they will assist you, if not, checkout their site http://www.tandyleat...navlocation=top

they have many instructional videos (Free) that will show you how to lace, how to set snaps and rivets, dying finishing, etc.

Hope this helps, good luck,

Ken

Thank you. There's two in my state, but I can't justify driving to either of them right now. There's one close to where I'll be in Cali, maybe I can swing in a trip out there lol.

Looking through Tandy's book of leathers, threads, and sinew, they don't seem to offer much at 3/32". What would you suggest for an affordable 3/32" width? I know Rio Rondo sells 3/32" at like $2.25/yard, which seems a bit expensive (I use them to buy model horse equipment every now and then). There's a variety of laces listed at Tandy, but all seem to be rather expensive (to me at least, with the budget I have) and sold by the spool. For what I want to do, what are your suggestions as far as what to use? Thanks.

Looking through Tandy's book of leathers, threads, and sinew, they don't seem to offer much at 3/32". What would you suggest for an affordable 3/32" width? I know Rio Rondo sells 3/32" at like $2.25/yard, which seems a bit expensive (I use them to buy model horse equipment every now and then). There's a variety of laces listed at Tandy, but all seem to be rather expensive (to me at least, with the budget I have) and sold by the spool. For what I want to do, what are your suggestions as far as what to use? Thanks.

All the laces at Tandy are sold at 1/8" and 3/32" you have to select the size when ordering. I buy lace from Springfield Leather Company (a sponsor on this site), they have great products, great service and good prices. If leather lace is too expensive, there are plastic laces that some folks use that are much cheaper, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Ken