I just want to say thanks to all of the forum members so far, it's been very helpful to be on this site and get tips from the professionals.

My next question is how deep does your dye usually penetrate your leather? I've been daubing dye and lately been dip dying some of my projects. However it seems no matter how much dye I use or how long I leave the hide in the dye bath I can only get dye on the surface and not further in. Is this usual? I would like deeper dye penetration so as my projects wear they don't show the light colored hide underneath. Thanks again!

What type of dye are you using? What weight of leather? where did you get the leather?

These answers would help.

I'm using fiebings oil dye on 2 oz goat leather but I've also had the same issue on veg tanned calf at 3-4 oz as well. The goat leather I got off eBay and the veg tanned stuff I got from Tandy.

Well... I usually hand dye my stuff so the dye stays on the surface, but i've dip dyed a few times. And the thing is, if the dye, especially spirit based dyes, has soaked all the way through, your leather is gonna dry out really badly. You'll have something as stiff as cardboard.

And tbh, you'd be better of buying drum dyed leather. To dip dye your own stuff is going to be really expensive and not cost effective, unless you are doing things on a huge scale. If not. Just let the tanneries do the dyeing. At least you know for sure that u are gonna get a nicely dyed piece that isnt dried out.