glockanator

Lace Making Help

I was given a Tandy lace maker. The couple of time I have tried to use it it takes about 10 mins to get it to start to cut the lace but by the time I get a goos start it has made my hole about three times what the original size was. I have been using scrap upholstry leather I get from work. Should I use heavier leather? Can I use veg tan? Any help would be appericated.

I had some really serious issues with my lace maker. I purchased it "new" from the local store, but it turns out that the blade was in serious need of replacing. Luckily, I had some spare blades and was up and found it far easier to make lace instead of smaller pieces of scrap.

I don't know if this is the problem with your lace maker, however the blade is the first thing I would check. Hopefully, replacement of the blade is all you need.

I've always had trouble getting soft garment leather to 'feed' correctly into the lace maker, so that could be part of the issue. It's completely different with vegtan, which works like a charm. +1 about checking the blade...they're assembled rapidly and it's very likely the person assembling it holds the blade with a pair of pliers for safety. When 'new', mine had a nick in the blade where it was held. After replacing the blade (or even flipping it) it works like it should.

You might also find this helpful: Lacing Calculator

I've always had trouble getting soft garment leather to 'feed' correctly into the lace maker, so that could be part of the issue. It's completely different with vegtan, which works like a charm. +1 about checking the blade...they're assembled rapidly and it's very likely the person assembling it holds the blade with a pair of pliers for safety. When 'new', mine had a nick in the blade where it was held. After replacing the blade (or even flipping it) it works like it should.

You might also find this helpful: Lacing Calculator

Thanks I will replace my Blade and try it again.

The first issue I have with the lace cutter is when you cut some leathers in a circle the top grain breaks when you start lacing . This is not true with all leathers ,but some for sure . With the less stiff leathers I have seen some people use a wall paper with a peel off sticky back to give the flimsy leather a little stiffness . Just peel the back off and apply then use a round drive punch and cut the starter hole . I have seen this work and it does work well the key is in the technique . Practice makes perfect . bluesman1951

I was given a Tandy lace maker. The couple of time I have tried to use it it takes about 10 mins to get it to start to cut the lace but by the time I get a goos start it has made my hole about three times what the original size was. I have been using scrap upholstry leather I get from work. Should I use heavier leather? Can I use veg tan? Any help would be appericated.

I hadn't taken into account about the assembly process being an issue in reference to the blades condition when you pull it out and use the first time.

I was having so many problems with mine and I knew that I was doing the steps correctly. I just couldn't figure out why my lace maker wasn't gliding through the leather like those in the videos until I decided to look at the blade. It had big notches chips in it, looking a lot like a blade that had previously been used to trim dirty carpets. I had some spares, and as soon as it was replaced, it performed exactly the way I had expected it to. Gliding through the leather with a nice and clean lace left behind. I was even able to make some lace from a scrap of rabbit (no hair). I was relieved to know it wasn't operator error, for once.

I changed the blade and it now.works.like a charm.thanks for the jeopardy fellas! Now just need to find some good braiding projects.

Glad to hear that it was a simple fix.

Nothing like those face-palm moments, huh?

I have heard that applying liquid floor wax to the flesh side of the leather and letting it dry ( about 15 minutes) will strengthen your leather to make it more easy to cut. Especially those pesky sub par pieces that we all seem to find as scrap in our bins.I have not been ablt to try this out for myself yet but I going to as soon as i can get some liquid wax. Watch those finger guys!