Sign in to follow this  
doublebow

Need Prices On Purse/wallet

I am a new member who joined to find out the cost of having a purse and/or wallet made from alligator skin. I will have the skin tanned and sent to you.

Can any of you guys help

Thanks

You'll need to be quite a bit more specific. For the purse: What size, number of pockets, preference for hardware, etc. For the wallet: Men's or Women's style? Single fold, bi-fold, tri-fold? Do you want the alligator skin as just the outter shell and use a commercial interior or custom cut interior.....or do you expect the interior to be 'gator as well? What will be done with the scraps....and there WILL be some, because alligators don't come in purse shapes. And the critical question....How much 'gator and how thick will the hide be? If it's 'natural thickness', the maker will have to split/skive the leather to the appropriate size for the product.

What kind of tanning will you have done? This is very important because some kinds of tanning are suitable for bags, others ....less suitable. If you're going to have it bark tanned (Vegetable tanned), then you should expect several months of wait time before the hide is returned to you. If it's done by JoeBob the part time taxidermist, is it TANNED, or is it just "preserved". The type of tanning will determine the steps the maker will need to use to seal the purse against moisture.

Guest Doublebow

For the purse I would like the skin on the outer part only. 2 zipper pockets on the inside, otherwise open. I would like a full close flap on the outside. The hide hasnt been tanned, so it can be tanned for this purpose. The scraps can be used for smaller items, returned, or given to the leatherworker. Nothin fancy on the hardware. The wallet needs to be bifold like a checkbook. I would also like a price to do a trifold wallet. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I haven't done this before

For the purse: gator on outside only. Full flap with a simple closure. A zipper on each side on the inside. One zipper on top to close the entire contents. The hide hasn't been tanned so it can be tanned for this puppse.

Wallet mans checkbook style or trifold with outside gator only.

I probably missed something but need to rest typing on this phone

You'll need to be quite a bit more specific. For the purse: What size, number of pockets, preference for hardware, etc. For the wallet: Men's or Women's style? Single fold, bi-fold, tri-fold? Do you want the alligator skin as just the outter shell and use a commercial interior or custom cut interior.....or do you expect the interior to be 'gator as well? What will be done with the scraps....and there WILL be some, because alligators don't come in purse shapes. And the critical question....How much 'gator and how thick will the hide be? If it's 'natural thickness', the maker will have to split/skive the leather to the appropriate size for the product.

What kind of tanning will you have done? This is very important because some kinds of tanning are suitable for bags, others ....less suitable. If you're going to have it bark tanned (Vegetable tanned), then you should expect several months of wait time before the hide is returned to you. If it's done by JoeBob the part time taxidermist, is it TANNED, or is it just "preserved". The type of tanning will determine the steps the maker will need to use to seal the purse against moisture.

Purse: medium size, one large compartment with a zipper pocket on each side, full flap closure with zipper at top of large compartment. Hardware can be a snap button, outside gator only.

Wallet: Mens checkbook style or trifold, outside gator only.

I hide isn't tanned, so it can be tanned for this purpose. It will be natural thickness. I will probably send it to American Tanning in Georgia I think.

I am open to ideas on making this easier and cheaper.

I tried to respond a couple times this weekend on my phone and it didn't work. Sorry for the delay.