EquusCustomLeathers

New Found Respect

I don't have an actual question for all you braiders out there..just an observation. I love to see a well made, useful object braided, so I thought i would give it a try. I went out and bought "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant, and browsed through it a couple of times. Yesterday, I got the brilliant idea of trying to braid a simple tug for my cell phone case..easy, right?

Maybe not..I have spent about four hours trying to make a two inch braid. The whole works now resides in the garbage can, and I need a stiff drink LOL

So, my point is, you guys are incredibly talented, and much more patient than I am! Hats off to you:)

Hi. Which braid from Grants book did you decide to start with? Usually when you're braiding for the first time, something simple to understand is best to start with. For example, I started braiding a simple 4 strand round braid. I kept on that braid till I learned to braid that braid without any gaps and how to even my hands when braiding. ie: even handed meaning - a balanced braid. not too tight and not too loose and straight braiding with no gaps.

If you picked out a braid that requires you to concentrate a bit harder, you'll find yourself frustrated. By starting out with something simple, you'll find yourself learning how the braid works. For example; the structure of the braid and why it has to be done like it has to be done. Braiding is like teaching yourself how to read again, or riding a bike. Something like that anyway. LOL... I find that most just learning are not impatient with the braid. But with themselves and the learning curve behind braiding. Just as I don't know how to leather carve, there are many mufti-faceted steps to carving leather than most realize. It is finding a common ground(experience) between what you are familiar with and braiding that will aide you the best. Learning the braid at this point is best rather than depending on your patience.

Hope some of this helps you out. Don't hesitate to ask and post your images of your braiding when you need help. We are glad to help in any way we can over the net.

Best regards,

Brian...

Hi. Which braid from Grants book did you decide to start with? Usually when you're braiding for the first time, something simple to understand is best to start with. For example, I started braiding a simple 4 strand round braid. I kept on that braid till I learned to braid that braid without any gaps and how to even my hands when braiding. ie: even handed meaning - a balanced braid. not too tight and not too loose and straight braiding with no gaps.

If you picked out a braid that requires you to concentrate a bit harder, you'll find yourself frustrated. By starting out with something simple, you'll find yourself learning how the braid works. For example; the structure of the braid and why it has to be done like it has to be done. Braiding is like teaching yourself how to read again, or riding a bike. Something like that anyway. LOL... I find that most just learning are not impatient with the braid. But with themselves and the learning curve behind braiding. Just as I don't know how to leather carve, there are many mufti-faceted steps to carving leather than most realize. It is finding a common ground(experience) between what you are familiar with and braiding that will aide you the best. Learning the braid at this point is best rather than depending on your patience.

Hope some of this helps you out. Don't hesitate to ask and post your images of your braiding when you need help. We are glad to help in any way we can over the net.

Best regards,

Brian...

Brian, thank you for an answer that doesn't make me feel too dumb! LOL I think you are right in saying that the frustration is in expecting myself to "click" on something immediately. I suppose the more frustrated I am in learning something, the more I will value the knowledge when I (eventually) get it.

I started with the simplest braid in the book..two thong flat braid. Still can't get it right! It just looks like a tangled up mess to me.. I have a small problem with coordination in my hands, as I have MS and sometimes my hands do not do as they are told:) I don't like to blame inability on a disability, so I think I will walk away from it for a little bit, and try again with much more patience.

Thank you so much!

Zina

Hi Zina.

Which page are you on in Grants book? Edit: Never mind I found it.

Here's a video. This dude calls it a zipper stitch. So pay no attention to the name. The knot, or braid is done the same way with cord as with lace.

B...

Edited by KnotHead

Zina, get a small bundle of paracord and use that to learn and practise. Cut your strings and melt the ends and you can do braids and buttons and all kinds of things and the material will be the same when you tear it apart to do again. Don't give up. I've got quite a few buttons and braids I've cut off to start over so if I can grasp the concept, anyone can. Goodluck, Brad

I would second the thought about using paracord to practice. When I started out, I would practice braiding or tying buttons at night with the paracord. It really helps to understand the basics and also see the patterns or designs.

You guys are awesome! I went to my local farm store and picked up some cording. It turns out that I learn much faster with videos than books. I finally figured out the simplest of braids and I have been practising while watching Netflix in the evenings LOL

One of my kids was watching me, and decided he was interested, so I showed him how to do it..took him 2 seconds to figure it out! I laughed and asked how he was so freakin' smart..he says "Well it's easy when someone shows ya!"

He was right, thank you! Now..I just have to figure out how to put up pictures..but that's a whole other problem.

Thanks again..I LOVE the people on this board:)