Scott W

Wearing Out My Adler 67 Gk373?

So last year I bought an Adler 67 GK373. It has a sticker on the front declaring it is a Chandler. I found myself some manuals, cleaned it up, re-timed it, and replaced the clutch motor with a Nick-O Sew variable speed motor and a speed reducer.

I sew leather holsters using 6-7 oz vegetable tanned leather. Usually the total thickness I am sewing is 1/4 inch. I use 138 thread top and bottom with 134-35 LR size 21 needle. I have not had any real problems with the exception of turning which I will post on another topic. I have even sewn a few test runs at 3/8 of an inch thick and the machine just jugs along like it was nothing. That is the max the pressure foot will raise.

I'm new to machine sewing and I don't have but one industrial sewing machine dealer in my state and they really don't deal in machines that sew anything heavier then upholstery leather, so that haven't been a lot of help when I have questions about the leather I'm sewing. All they keep telling me is that machine was not designed to sew that thick of material and that I am going to ruin it. They would like me to trade it in before it is to late and get a harness machine. They sell a Typical machine, which they say is comparable to an Artisan 3000.

So my question is will I really destroy this machine? It seems to be built like a tank and it doesn't groan or appear to be complaining when I ask it to sew through 1/4 of leather. It just walks through it. Even when I hand turn it with its small flywheel, there doesn't appear to be hardly any resistance.

I think I would eventually like to get a harness machine, but if I don't exceed 1/4 inch is it really worth doing right now. I'm thinking that so long as I stay below the pressure foot threshold and keep it tuned up I should be ok. And if I decide to sew thicker material on a regular basis I should buy a harness machine and keep my Adler.

Does anybody out there have some experience with this machine. Am I sending it to an early grave?

Thanks. Scott

Hi Scott,

is your machine an Adler or a Chandler?

I do not know the Chandler, however I think that is a Chinese Adler clone; am I right.

I see that Chandler is a US company, however there products look Chinese to me.

I am sure some other member can tell you more about this company.

However, I can tell you about the German Adler class 67.

The Adler 67 came in many subclasses, the Gk 373 heaviest subclass of them all. It has a bigger needle, bigger hand wheel and a high lift (12 mm by hand and 25 mm by foot). This machine would sew ¼ inch all day and night long without breaking anything. It will also sew up to ½ inch thick and an Nm 160 needle maximum.

This according to the manual, it means that Adler warrants this performance, and I trust them.

These machines are made for production works at least eight hours every day, how many hours are you using your machine per day?

A ¼ inch is not that thick, however you are using the heaviest thread the machine is able to handle. Therefore, you are using it at its maximum all the time. You will not break the Adler; however, if it is a Chandler it can be an other story.

You must always buy a machine that can do more than you will need; no machine is designed to perform on its maximum all the time. Your dealer is right these machines are designed for upholstery work; if you are going to sew holsters with thick thread get a heavy stitcher.

Trox

Trox,

Thanks! The machine is a German made Adler. I didn't know the GK 373 was the heaviest sub class, that is good to know. Thanks again.