Sign in to follow this  
chouinardragon

Saddler's Clamp

Hello guys, I have been using saddler's clamp instead of stitching pony for a while. I use Vergez Blanchard's saddler's clamp and their 38mm awl. I have problem with it. I can't stab the awl vertically to the leather because of the direction of the awl in my hand. I also have no ideas of what direction should I push the awl blade while I stab. Should I adjust the way I hold the awl or the way of the saddler's clamp between my legs? Thanks!

If you are new to this sewing technique,it will take some practice to get the hand coordination of the thread the and the needles mastered.. the clam that you are using uses your leg pressure to hold you work firmly. The left side or the blind side canot be seen, so as you stab your awl your needle in the left hand must follow the awl as you pull it out. I assume that you are marking stitches with a pricking iron or stitching wheel. The awl makes a diamond shaped hole in the leather, make sure that flat of the diamond follows you stitch line with a continious angle. You want to hold the clam with legs so that is perpendicular to your sewing hand. I not totally clear on your question, I hope this helps.

steve

thanks steve, and sorry for my poor English, I'm not native speaker. In short, 1) I don't know the correct way to pose the saddler's clamp (angle). 2) I don't know how to pose my right hand on the saddler's clamp (toward the leather? toward the front?). 3) I don't know which way I should push the awl while stab. By the way, I flated the awl blade so it is not diamond shaped, more like eye-shaped. Does it matter?