teatree

Basic Lacing

I just want to do some basic lacing around a key wallet etc.I have used a friends rotary punch before but it has a gauge on it so as I can get the holes perfectly spaced.What other way can I do it? I want round holes. Can I use a creasing tool and then the stitching wheel and punch out each hole with a single punch or is there a better way to do it?Any advice would be great.I'm using 2.5mm veg tanned leather

For round holes, use a 3/32" punch for 3/32" lace and mark the holes 3/16" apart using a ruler or a 1/8" punch and space them 1/4" apart . Double Loop Lacing looks a lot better with slits which are made with a lacing chisel and they are fairly inexpensive. You can buy them with up to 8 slits, I would buy a single and a 6 or 8 in 1/8" width and use it for both 3/32" and 1/8". I only use holes for Round Braid (Mexican Basket Weave). A lacing chisel keeps the spacing absolutely perfect and the chisel is easy to keep straight by scribing a very light line with a pair of dividers 1/4" from the edge. You can use a creasing tool (don't actually crease the leather just make a very light line, however, with holes that line will show and unless that is a look you are going for it will detract from the looks of the item and a overstitch wheel to mark the hole locations. Keep in mind that no matter how careful you are with the punch, the holes will not all be perfectly aligned as they will with a lacing chisel, they will look ok. Hope this helps.

Chief

This is where a pair of wing dividers comes in handy. You can set your space, 3/16ths or 1/4 inch, and "walk" the divider down the edge, leaving a little dimple where each hole goes.