Sign in to follow this  

buenos dios,,,,i finally got a fairly good cross draw finished with 30 degree angle....My brother bless him sent me a pix of Rory Calhoun movie and asked could i make

a holster like that!!!!! I have no idea how to craft one with that severe angle..have been at this for about 1 yr altogether and only made a smattering of 12 holsters...Gonna

try a pix and maybe some of you great skilled ones can show me the path!!!post-34724-0-66643700-1351296963_thumb.j

Thanks

The 'simple' way to do it is lay out the body of the holster mostly as shown in Jim Simmon's holster tutorial http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19714. Abbreviate the back flap, and before stitching together, fold the flap around the back and use a straight edge to make the angle you want (trim as needed)...then leave enough for the belt flap and stitch it in place. Then cover the stitching with the liner and stitch up the whole shebang.

thanks for advice twin,,had to read a couple of times before i got abbreviate back flap,so it is a shortend skirt...i will fool with it till i get it,,it is a real severe angle....

Maybe you can tell what i did wrong on the cross draw a put together,,am doing a pix...

i thought a had it till i belted up and the pouch flopped like a fish out of water,,so i riveted the thing to the skirt making a tight belt fit and it works ok,,just wonder where i went wrong,,thanks

try again to post pix

Edited by soaring eagle

once you upload it, don't forget to click the 'add to post' button on the right side of the screen.

It may be that the weight of the pistol is being supported by only one side of the flap. It is, in effect, falling 'lop sided'. Putting the rivet in not only pulls the flap tighter, but also makes a 'stop' to keep the trigger side of the holster from riding up.

In my suggestion, I said ".lay out the body of the holster...", meaning the part around the actual gun. Instead of having the full flap behind the holster, I had intended that it be cut shorter and stitched directly to the back of the body. That would eliminate the 'flop' of the holster and provide a built in 'anti-tilt' stop.

However, I didn't include diagrams or anything, so it'd kind of hard to know exactly what I meant...

You still did a very nice job on it, and the rivet should last forever (it looks like a copper rivet).

Hey Eagle!

Since you're asking for suggestions, I'll throw out my process for you to consider.

If I were attempting this style of holster, I'd cut my pattern out of heavy paper or light weight cardboard (shirt backer from the dry cleaners) and once I had it drawn, I would cut out only the actual holster. Leave all the other pattern material until you had the paper wrapped around the gun and scotch taped. That way you have all that other pattern material to play with and fold around the gunbelt until you get the angle you want.

It ain't brain surgery, or I wouldn't have thought of it!! Good luck, and have fun.

Mike

mike,,sounds like a good process,,had considered paper to play with but hadn't thought about actually putting revolver in it,sounds smart idea to me!!i am having fun for sure,,,,

made a first double mexican loop and it came out good so i had another one going but would you believe when cutting the loops in the skirt the i cut the damn thing off,,just lost train of thought

i guess,,like putting neat lac on instead of neat foot,,guess i will trim skirt and rivet the pouch instead.....Rory is on the western channel this afternoon featuring the very leather rig in the pix,,believe

i will record and maybe be a better look at the rig,,thanks hasta luego