Sign in to follow this  
Matt Alsaker

New To Exotic Hides

I've never used any exotic hides or done any inlay work. While I'm trying to figure it out, which hides would you recommend I start with that are not terribly expensive and are easiest to work with? Ostrich? I use a round knife to cut veg tan leather. Are exotics cut the same way or do you use something more like a utility knife? I use a Resolene mix to seal my holsters. Can I use that on exotic hides or don't you need to seal the hide? I found a post Katsass (Mike) put up a little while back on inlaying, so I think I'll have a pretty good start on that. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Whipsnake or seasnake, rattlesnake, lizard, and python are easy to sew and make great inlays. Ostrich hide is relatively easy to sew as long as you don't try to go through a quill bump with part of the quill still in there, and ostrich leg is fairly easy to sew too, as long as you're not trying to force the large shin scales to go around a bend (they'll lift up). Springfield Leather sells scrap exotic mixes and scrap ostrich hide, so the pieces are relatively inexpensive. They also sell ostrich shin. Ostrich shin and scaled reptile usually is sealed with something to stick the scales down and make them less likely to lift up. Ostrich hide and shin, and most reptile leathers can be cut with scissors or a knife. Frog and fish is a little harder to find, and can be quite a bit more expensive, but they sew well once you compensate for their rubbery texture and tendency to “grip”.

Buffalo and Waterbuffalo are usually a little harder to sew as they tend to be thicker, but all in all, pretty similar to cow.

Stingray, gator, and croc are all harder to sew, depending on how they are prepared, what part you are using, and how they are sewn. They also tend to be slightly pricier.

For crock and gator, belly-cut tails and the underside, especially the belly itself, are easier to sew than hornback or backstraps. Springfield currently has a special on cayman tails, and this leather is easily sewn and cut. Small gator, belly, and tails can be cut with a utility knife, round knife, or scissors. Gator tongue is a weird leather, and harder to find. It's also a pain to handsew from what I understand due to a hard temper and uneven thickness.

The nodules on stingray are hard to cut, and can deflect the needle or awl, and cut or broken nodules can scratch a person or cut threads. It’s usually cut with tin snips or some other heady-duty shears. Some people use a drill bit to "punch" hole for stitching, some sand down the nodules on the edges--respiratory protection should be used when abrading, drilling, or sanding stingray. Stingray prices range from inexpensive to very pricey.

The finishes will vary depending on what leather you start with, what it will be made a part of (holster or sheath, wallet or key fob, etc.), how it is attached (inlay, overlay, whatever), and who will be using it and where they will be using it. There are lots of people who can give you advice on finishes if you can tell them what you’d like to make and with what kind of leathers you’d like to try.

A good piece of shark is typically easy to work with. It edges up pretty nice, sews easy, a cuts very nicely with a sharp Exacto.

I would recommend Rojo Leather on eBay for a smaller piece to start with, until it is time to buy a full skin. The great thing about their ebay store is that you get to see the exact piece you will be receiving.

Thanks for all this information. I'm cutting it into a Word document so I can find it again. I really appreciate the input.

Whipsnake or seasnake, rattlesnake, lizard, and python are easy to sew and make great inlays. Ostrich hide is relatively easy to sew as long as you don't try to go through a quill bump with part of the quill still in there, and ostrich leg is fairly easy to sew too, as long as you're not trying to force the large shin scales to go around a bend (they'll lift up). Springfield Leather sells scrap exotic mixes and scrap ostrich hide, so the pieces are relatively inexpensive. They also sell ostrich shin. Ostrich shin and scaled reptile usually is sealed with something to stick the scales down and make them less likely to lift up. Ostrich hide and shin, and most reptile leathers can be cut with scissors or a knife. Frog and fish is a little harder to find, and can be quite a bit more expensive, but they sew well once you compensate for their rubbery texture and tendency to “grip”.

Buffalo and Waterbuffalo are usually a little harder to sew as they tend to be thicker, but all in all, pretty similar to cow.

Stingray, gator, and croc are all harder to sew, depending on how they are prepared, what part you are using, and how they are sewn. They also tend to be slightly pricier.

For crock and gator, belly-cut tails and the underside, especially the belly itself, are easier to sew than hornback or backstraps. Springfield currently has a special on cayman tails, and this leather is easily sewn and cut. Small gator, belly, and tails can be cut with a utility knife, round knife, or scissors. Gator tongue is a weird leather, and harder to find. It's also a pain to handsew from what I understand due to a hard temper and uneven thickness.

The nodules on stingray are hard to cut, and can deflect the needle or awl, and cut or broken nodules can scratch a person or cut threads. It’s usually cut with tin snips or some other heady-duty shears. Some people use a drill bit to "punch" hole for stitching, some sand down the nodules on the edges--respiratory protection should be used when abrading, drilling, or sanding stingray. Stingray prices range from inexpensive to very pricey.

The finishes will vary depending on what leather you start with, what it will be made a part of (holster or sheath, wallet or key fob, etc.), how it is attached (inlay, overlay, whatever), and who will be using it and where they will be using it. There are lots of people who can give you advice on finishes if you can tell them what you’d like to make and with what kind of leathers you’d like to try.

Edited by Matt Alsaker

Sure thing. And I'd love to see what you make when you get to that stage.