Sign in to follow this  
hubert1979

Buttstock Shell Holder 2

Hey guys so this is my second attempt. I did a few things different this time. 1.Used rivets. 2. I installed a suede liner to protect the stock from the rivets. 3. tried to do a nice edge. 4. Cased the leather properly. and 5. tried to use the sun to darken the leather a bit. I like the rivets and they are easy to use and install but the only thing that i dont like is that i have to skiv out the flesh side because these particular rivets are for a lighter leather. And I couldn't find rivets that were small enough for the leather i used. You will probably notice i didnt stitch the liner on, and it is because like a dummy I punched the eyelet holes really early. And didnt account for the stitch line. So its glued on only. Thanks for looking.

post-27652-0-91971600-1352828552_thumb.j

post-27652-0-74739100-1352828954_thumb.j

post-27652-0-47838700-1352829064_thumb.j

post-27652-0-91737800-1352829145_thumb.j

post-27652-0-57399300-1352829230_thumb.j

Edited by hubert1979

I think it looks great. Your stamping is inspirational. The basketweave really has some great depth giving it a great 3D effect. I just started basic stamping, so I know who I'm gonna be asking questions now.

Good looking - but - I don't see a sling swivel or anything that will keep it in place under recoil. Generally, those things try to head for the pistol grip when the gun is fired, even with a suede liner, and no matter how tightly you lace the thing on. Mike

I think it looks great. Your stamping is inspirational. The basketweave really has some great depth giving it a great 3D effect. I just started basic stamping, so I know who I'm gonna be asking questions now.

Thank you very much.

Good looking - but - I don't see a sling swivel or anything that will keep it in place under recoil. Generally, those things try to head for the pistol grip when the gun is fired, even with a suede liner, and no matter how tightly you lace the thing on. Mike

Thanks for looking Mike. I agree with you. These things do tend to creep forward. Do you have any suggestions as a way to fix this? Thanks again...Dan

My suggestion would be to install a screw-in sling swivel stud near the butt of the stock, The lacing will retain the leather in place, and the stud doesn't get in the way. Mike