Sign in to follow this  
frontlinebass

Burnishing(Buffing) The Face Of A Belt/whatever Else?

I am wondering what techniques you guys use to burnish the face of your leather. I've read a ton of posts on this site and I haven't seen general tips on how people burnish/buff leather especially after dying. What materials do you use etc...?

I use Tandy's glass burnisher and I love it. I was reluctant to by it at first...but has paid for itself. Go onto the Tandy website which is awesome, as they have a ton of educational videos. Watch the video on how to use the burnisher, and you'll get some ideas

I use the glass burnisher before I start working the leather, sometimes during the if I need to smooth out a tooling mark and at the end of the project. I also switched over to Tandy's waterstains. I use them for carved and stamped belts for high lighting, block dying... They are all l use now as the more you buff the piece, or wear the piece...the better it looks. Which is great for belts, sheaths.... Just be see to burnish the entire piece as the burnishing effect the way leather will accept dyes or waterstains.

As for buffing leather, I personally use my old worn out soft wool and acrylic socks. They bring out a beautiful finish with the waterstains. Which don't need to be sealed with acrylic.

I use sheepskin scraps, called Stoney Short Wool. I buy them from a Jacket Manufacturing Company. They come average a little larger than your hand and I cut them into sheepskin pads for dying and for buffing after finishing.

Chief

Awesome info guys thanks so much! I have another question. Do you reuse the wool or cloth after buffing/burnishing? If it has taken some dye on it will that dye transfere to another piece if used again?

Awesome info guys thanks so much! I have another question. Do you reuse the wool or cloth after buffing/burnishing? If it has taken some dye on it will that dye transfere to another piece if used again?

The ones I use for dying or applying finish if I use them for that - No.

Buffing dry dye and finishes, yes but not for an extraordinarily long time, once they look a little "soiled", I toss em, I buy a garbage bag full for $19.00 and that makes them pretty inexpensive.

Chief

I use a 'box o' rags' from the hardware store. It's a bunch of pieces of cloth that feel like t-shirt material - white, I can see any color rub off, and soft enough that I don't worry about the leather.