wintermte

My First Carving - Michael and Satan (be nice)

I'm a little hesitant to post this as it is my first attempt at anything complex. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although the dragon/satan's head didn't come out as well as I would have liked.

I can't claim the full credit to for the design. I found the original sketch on the internet, and traced it for this project.

Let me know what you think (just be nice).

Dan

2751241329_fca4f9b207_b.jpg

2752078220_fa6a807f65_b.jpg

--deleted because it was a duplicate post--

Edited by wintermte

This is a great start! Looks good. Hard to believe it's your first one. I can't wait to see you progress.

ArtS

This is a great start! Looks good. Hard to believe it's your first one. I can't wait to see you progress.

ArtS

Thanks! I'm not sure how the heck I managed to post this here 2x. I was trying to post the 2nd one in the "Show Off" discussion.

Is there a way to move a thread to another topic?

Deleted because it was another duplication of the original message. Sorry I'll get the hang of this yet...

Edited by wintermte

This is nice. I do think you should be happy with it. Keep posting and you will notice that others see more than you do and not as critical as you might. You are doing really really well.

Wow, that's ambitious for a first piece! I can see you are getting used to the tools and what they do, and how to replicate anatomy. I'm not a figure carver--never done it, and likely never will--but good on you for giving it a try!

I agree ambitious for a first, but very good portayal of a complex study, What tools did you use?

I agree ambitious for a first, but very good portayal of a complex study, What tools did you use?

Thanks everyone! I just used the basic tools -- swivel knife, background tool, pear shader, and the beveler.

Dan

i think its great,keep it up!!!! MY FIRST PIECE WAS A TRAIN WRECK!!!!!

I admire that you took on an ambitious project first time out-of-the-gate. One thing that might help is making sure your knives are *very* sharp. When I did my first carvings, the blade of my swivel knife was "fresh out of the factory" but not nearly sharp enough- if you are having trouble around curved, sharp corners ( like Mike's wing tips) with having "pinched" or "pushed" bits that aren't cutting nicely, or you are finding you are losing agility because you have to press too hard (this is particularly bad when making circles, I find) you may want to work that blade up some more.