Cowhorses

New Guy From Wa

Howdy! Been lurking on this site for a long time. Figured it was time to join up and share and talk with so many good people. Not a newbe to leather work, but I'm no expert by a long shot. Mostly I make a lot of horse tack, spur straps, bronc halters...and have done some picture carving. All this goes hand in hand with my starving artist thing. I do some painting but have to be realllly inspired. Most of that happens in the winter, when I'm not showing cuttin hosses, which is my truest passion.

Kinda hard to talk about one's self though. I'm pretty long in the tooth but doing fine. Saw there were a few here from WA and yes, I am familiar with the folks in Pierce County. Was funny the fellow from Port Orchard saying something about casing leather just by walking outside. I live in the East part of the state and ya gotta keep things pretty oiled here..hot and dry.

Lots of great info here and places to get the neat stuff.

Just finished my new shop, well, almost finished. Now I have a place to work at various art things I do. Came across this..forgot I had it. Some of you might remember this. Copyright 1946 and it's in pretty good condition. 111 pages and some interesting patterns. Of course the industry has moved way beyond this..but, then, some things never change.

Don

post-36987-0-08909800-1354958717_thumb.j

Hey Don, welcome. You will have a good time here, lots of good folks and good info. Since you are from the east side of WA. you aren't too far from Eugene OR. You might even know an old ropin" buddy of mine who is pretty well known in that part of the country, Bill Jones. If you do, and you run across him at a cutting of roping, tell him I said HI.

Once again, Welcome!

Bob

Hey Bob, thanks. I can't say I know Bill, but I'm sure Willie Hart does. I used to rope before I got into cutting(1990).

Yes, seems like a lot of good folks on here...my 'lurking' days are over. But I picked up lots of good info. I'm sure that will continue.

Welcome aboard Don. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Thanks Matt. I used to live in Parkland...many moons ago. Used to do some tooling but got away from it but now trying to find my niche again. But mostly I've been making horse tack for me. Inline to get a 'arm' machine as soon as my Pfaff 545 goes. Wished I could afford to keep 'em both.

Thanks for saying hi!

Don, I moved here in 2000... it has grown so much that it is time to move again. The house I bought was in an area that was nothing but small ranchettes, lots of fields and horses... now it is all track homes built 5 feet apart. Time to find a place off the beaten path again.

When I lived down that way, Parkland and Spanaway didn't have a real good reputation, but I do know things have changed and pretty nice area nowadays. You had to go East of Spanaway or south of Roy Y to get away. I could hardly wait to retire and get away from the West side...period. I'm glad I choose Yakima. No traffic, hot and dry. I recall living over there and when a good day came you had to play catch up. Not so here...put down whatever your doing, go play and tomorrow will be nice too. Takes the pressure off. And, lots of fresh fruit and veggies here. But, it is what it is. Must make do wherever we live. Whatcha working on these days for a leather project? Still trying to tune up my tooling for Sheridan Style. Ordered a new blade from Leather Wranglers...hope it helps. My old ones are goners. No matter how much I work them over, they still drag.

Have a great day ...

I'm just south of the Roy Y, now you have to go a ways past 224th to start getting "out of town".

I'm just starting out working with leather. Mostly I have just been getting the feel of the tools etc... on scrap. I made one check book cover thus far and I am thinking of starting a wallet soon. Tooling scrap is one thing, but I found that it is better for me to do actual projects (no matter how bad they turn out :P ) that way I can get a better feel of what works and what does not.

Here is a link to the check book if your interested.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44089&hl=

Welcome fellow Washingtonian...

It's good to see someone else from the most diverse state in the U.S. I've been over there to Yakistan a few times, usually to the YTC, but prefer to stay on the west side of the mountains.

Havamal's quite lucky being right up the road from one of the Tandy's in the state. It takes me about an hour to drive there from where I am.

Glad you said hello Shtoink. Thats a true statement about the State's diverisity. While I don't get along with the constant grey over there, it is still beautiful. That ole song BLUEST SKIES YOU'VE EVEN SEEN holds true. So many folks don't realize we actually have 2 states in one, with the diverse climates.

Ha! Yes, Tandy in Tacome is a bit of a piece to drive for me too, but I always make it a stop if I'm in the area. They used to have one in Tri-Cities...closed. Hmmm, maybe a new one over here would be a good thing.

Hey Shtoink...I just seen where you are into the electonics side of things. Have you done much re-solder of boards? I know the solder required today is pretty bad stuff, no lead and such and these things don't last like they should. Had an couple incidents with my Dodge and boards needed repair and there was nobody I could find West of the Mississippi that did it. I thought it was a pretty good deal. One was my ABS controller. They wanted $1080 for a new one and you couldn't buy just the board part. There was an outfit in GA that did a re-do on them. Sent it there and cost me $71 total with shipping and all and it works great. There are other boards like on injection pumps etc. Seems it would be a great business. Those folks in GA, said they do hundreds of these and air bag modules(and more) weekly. I did have a radio repaired here in Yakima..same deal..bad solder on the board. If ya start to do that kind of thing...let me know.

I have to admit having a Tandy just down the road is handy!

The only problem is that I tend to spend to much when I go in there :P and I am usually in there once a week or so :(

You been to McPhearson Leather in Seattle, yet? Often better prices than Tandy. Well, it used to be. Been awhile for me. It's worth the trip to just see whats in there. I think they also have a website.

Nope, but I am going to try get by there next time I head up that way.

Welcome aboard! Maybe the next time I'm visiting my pal Gerrit up in Yakima we'll have to see about meeting up.

Horn

Nice meetin ya Horn. Gerrit...seems I know of a guy, goes by that name. Hangs out with the Rodeo crowd...has a friend named "MUD". Could it be? Ya, stop by anytime your in the area. I actually live in E. Selah, Pomona area really. Love the quote! I have one too, but best not post it.

It's worth the trip Matt

Just thought I would say hello to all you folks here in Washington. I live in Olympia. Just started back into leather learned in high school but just went to my 50th high school reunion so its been a while. many years ago I was really involved in rodeo and was a farrier for several years. I go to the Tandy store in Tacoma often and have been to the one in Seattle.

Hi Les ( I will assume your first name is Les). And, if thats your last name, same as mine. Welcome..great folks here and tons of help, and good advice. I know Olympia well. Used to live at off the Marvin Road by the ole' cheese factory....Johnson's Point I think. Many moons ago. Was going to Lacy, to Cabela's, till they built one here. Nice to meet ya. I know what ya mean about taking leather working back up after a long time...yes I do. Fun stuff and challenging!

Hello and welcome to the forum!