IngleGunLeather

Planning First Guitar Strap

Ok, so I have received a template set from Grey Ghost graphics. Very good quality with instructions and templates. My question though is what weight leather would be good? I'm thinking 6/7 oz veg tan lined with 2/3 oz suede? Is this going to be too thick or too stiff? Also, I'll be doing my sewing on a Cobra Class 4, and would like a needle/thread recommendation as well.

Thanks,

CT

Ok, so I have received a template set from Grey Ghost graphics. Very good quality with instructions and templates. My question though is what weight leather would be good? I'm thinking 6/7 oz veg tan lined with 2/3 oz suede? Is this going to be too thick or too stiff? Also, I'll be doing my sewing on a Cobra Class 4, and would like a needle/thread recommendation as well.

Thanks,

CT

I make guitar, banjo and dobro straps at 6 oz total. If you're going to line it, then I would use 3/4 oz leather with the 2/3 oz suede. Others may have different specs but for me 6 oz has always worked out, they drape really well and don't feel stiff at all.

Chief

Hi CT. I use 7-8oz on all my straps, and then line them and put foam on them. I've used suede before to line with and never had any trouble with them being stiff. However, I use bag balm on mine after all the dye, finish etc. and work that into the leather for probably 1/2 hour and let it soak in over night. I get a nice drape out of them using this method. Cheryl

I use 8/9 oz and then line with 2/3 oz. I find the thicker top leather allows a very nice deep tooling pattern and I have no problem with how they drape. I guess it becomes a personal preference Make a few and see what you like. As for your needle requirements, you could PM wizcrafts on this board, he is the resident sewing machine experts. Make sure you post your work.

Yep I am in the boat with Bluesman.

8-9 oz with a 2-3 liner, or upholstery liner.

IF I LINE IT!

Most of the time I just make sure the KIP on the backside is good and smooth when I buy the skins. After I tool it out I just oil and wax the back side ad leave it good to go. As a musician I have tried so many combinations over the years so this is what I tend to like the best for my straps....it is all opinion and preference, so just do whatever the client wants! If I had a Cobra I might be putting on Liners all the time:) But I don't own a sewing machine for industrial sewing.....YET:)

I use 8/9 oz and then line with 2/3 oz. I find the thicker top leather allows a very nice deep tooling pattern and I have no problem with how they drape. I guess it becomes a personal preference Make a few and see what you like. As for your needle requirements, you could PM wizcrafts on this board, he is the resident sewing machine experts. Make sure you post your work.

Thanks Bluesman for the info.I tend to use 6/7 oz for my belts and holsters, so this information puts that weight into a very usuable range. What do you prefer as a lining material? I saw one last night at Guitar Center that felt like it was made out of chap leather. It was really nice and soft. May have to experiment. And be sure that I will post photos. I'm a show off. Lol.

Edited by CountryTrash

Yep I am in the boat with Bluesman.

8-9 oz with a 2-3 liner, or upholstery liner.

IF I LINE IT!

Most of the time I just make sure the KIP on the backside is good and smooth when I buy the skins. After I tool it out I just oil and wax the back side ad leave it good to go. As a musician I have tried so many combinations over the years so this is what I tend to like the best for my straps....it is all opinion and preference, so just do whatever the client wants! If I had a Cobra I might be putting on Liners all the time:) But I don't own a sewing machine for industrial sewing.....YET:)

Thanks for the info Chancey. Do you have any issues with the dye rubbing off when going unlined? I was thinking I'd have to worry less about rub off if I lined it.

Hi CT. I use 7-8oz on all my straps, and then line them and put foam on them. I've used suede before to line with and never had any trouble with them being stiff. However, I use bag balm on mine after all the dye, finish etc. and work that into the leather for probably 1/2 hour and let it soak in over night. I get a nice drape out of them using this method. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. What thickness and type foam are you using?

Thanks Bluesman for the info.I tend to use 6/7 oz for my belts and holsters, so this information puts that weight into a very usuable range. What do you prefer as a lining material? I saw one last night at Guitar Center that felt like it was made out of chap leather. It was really nice and soft. May have to experiment. And be sure that I will post photos. I'm a show off. Lol.

For lining I use a 2/3 very soft veg tan from Springfield Leather, I also use his 2/3 pigskin. What I like about lining with Veg is that it burnishes. I tried suede and it burnished.......okay I guess. But not like veg tan. Also being a guitar player for many years, I prefer my strap to slide, so suede is not my choice of lining. But then again you do what the customer wants. If you use suede, burnish with paraffin only, this seems to work well. Try a sample piece all glued together before you attempt the strap.

I make guitar, banjo and dobro straps at 6 oz total. If you're going to line it, then I would use 3/4 oz leather with the 2/3 oz suede. Others may have different specs but for me 6 oz has always worked out, they drape really well and don't feel stiff at all.

Chief

Thanks Chief. Heading to Georgia in a week!Woohoo! Can't wait to get back on the east coast.

Hey CT, I just bought some thin foam from SLC. Before that I've even used the foam at Walmart for preschoolers that has tape on the back, and cut it to fit. I'd say both are about 1/16th of an inch. Cheryl

I don't dye the backsides. The Dyes I use don't seep through. I use R.O.C dyes NOT FEIBINGS!

Also DO NOT put foam in there it gets sweaty and starts to grow a super funk inside! Then it will really start to stink! Guitars are not so heavy that they need a foam on the inside. I always HATED big fat padded straps...... add the sweat funk smell into the mix and it just really sucks!

Edited by chancey77

For lining I use a 2/3 very soft veg tan from Springfield Leather, I also use his 2/3 pigskin. What I like about lining with Veg is that it burnishes. I tried suede and it burnished.......okay I guess. But not like veg tan. Also being a guitar player for many years, I prefer my strap to slide, so suede is not my choice of lining. But then again you do what the customer wants. If you use suede, burnish with paraffin only, this seems to work well. Try a sample piece all glued together before you attempt the strap.

Very good info to know. Never tried anything with suede, just saw it was highly advertised by some of the big names. I'd prefer veg tan for the ability to burnish then. I just started playing myself. I learned 3 chords today. Woohoo!

Very good info to know. Never tried anything with suede, just saw it was highly advertised by some of the big names. I'd prefer veg tan for the ability to burnish then. I just started playing myself. I learned 3 chords today. Woohoo!

Keep playing and learning. Music is wonderful therapy. And when you get frustrated, several months down the road, try this. Turn the guitar around and try to play with the opposite hand. Can't do it ............eh. Well that's where you were when you started. So you can see your own improvement, even though it is small.

Keep playing and learning. Music is wonderful therapy. And when you get frustrated, several months down the road, try this. Turn the guitar around and try to play with the opposite hand. Can't do it ............eh. Well that's where you were when you started. So you can see your own improvement, even though it is small.

Haha. That's awesome. I love music, especially blues and old school country.

Haha. That's awesome. I love music, especially blues and old school country.

Learn the C major which also A minor Pena tonic scales. Play a C chord over the pattern that start on the 5th fret, then play an Am over the same pattern. Works....eh. These patterns give you the functional building blocks for all blues and country licks. Blues is minor and country is major. Unless your BB King who mixes the two. Listen to one of his tunes. When the song sounds sad he's playing minor scales. then it gets happy.....boom Major scales. Practice the 5th fret position until you can't stand it anymore. Play so slow that you wouldn't let your friends hear you play. Then add some bends, pull offs and add your own style. before you know it you be rockin' Hint, move the same pattern to the 12th fret and you got E minor and G Major. Here's a link

http://www.i-love-guitar.com/pentatonic-guitar-scales.html