cmantz

Constructing Spur Straps

I am very new to leatherworking and have only messed with bronc halters. I am ready to try some stamping and figure spur straps should be an easy project.

I downloaded the free Tandy patterns. I have a couple questions:

What thickness leather would be best (I have some 5-6 oz and some 8-9 oz)?

Do I need to line the straps?

I have seen some that are stitched...is this just for looks or are these made with two layers of leather?

As for the billet, if I use the 8-9 oz. leather, do I need to skive the leather where the buckle will go? It seems like it will be really thick if I don't.

Where do I find pattern that has the newer style spur straps with the strap & bib?

I myself downloaded the free tandy pack, but if you have a smaller normal size printer it will be to small at 100%;you could always print, cut paper, and put it around your boot for size. I recommend starting on a one piece spur strap or "Dove Wing" . Question 1: Many spur strap patterns use 8-9 oz. ; Question 2: you do not need to line the straps, it is optional and many do not. Question 3:Some are done for decoration like these that I did yesterday: http://pinterest.com/Usernametaken10/in-the-process-of-making/ and others have a lining and that is why they are stitched. If you would like the Dove Wing pattern I would be happy to email it to you just PM me your email address. I hope this information helps.

I have some patterns from Chan Geer that are really good. I bought them from hide Hide Crafter Leathercraft but they have changed ownership. Try www.facebook.com/pages/Chan-Geer/300249408816