nmlvaio101

Greetings From Ft. Rucker, Al.

Hello everyone. My name is Graham, and I would like to be a leather enthusiast. Yep, I caught that leather bug that every leather craftsman or craftswomen talking about. I truly think leather craft is a dying artwork, and I would like to cherish it. In short, I was inspired by a company that makes remarkable dog collars; I would like to create some creations of my own and branch out with guitar straps for my father-in law. With this bit turning into an infection, I would love to create a non-profitable organization to help law enforcement by providing their k9s with bullet proof vest, medical units with oxygen mask for dogs, and help out any neighboring animal shelters with material donations.

I am glad I found this website because I thought Tandy Leather Factor was the only leather supplier and now I see there is many more. With that being said, is there list of all good/great makers/artist tools? Any recommendation on a basic tooling set, Books, etc. ? Oh, I forgot to mention that I am in the military and expected to move to Germany in a couple of months. Does anyone know companies over there?

Welcome to Leatherworker.net, and thank you for your service!

There are, of course, more opinions than tool makers....and you can do some searches right here on this forum. You just need to use the search function and input something like [ "best ______"]...include everything inside the brackets, and fill in the blank.

Some pretty common answers - best stamps: Barry King; best awls: Bob Douglas;best swivel knifes...I'm not opening THAT can of worms...Best mauls: Bearman (he and his son are members here). And though I don't know them of the top of my head, there ARE several companies in Europe for the leather goods. I'm sure some of our international members will chime in for those answers.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

Hello Graham.

If ever in Opelika/Auburn area, drop me a line and visit a spell.

Will give you directions if you care to visit.

Ft. Rucker is a very interesting facility. Plenty of helo activity and they are often in my area and I always make it a point to watch whenever I hear them.

Hope you are having a great experience and we appreciate your service.

Ray