Texas Leash Co

Got Clicker Press?

I am looking for a used clicker press. Like most of us I am on a tight budget. I have been watching ebay and craigslist but haven't found anyhing yet. I would prefer a unit with a table at least 12 x 12. I thought about making one from a shop press but I see postings by members that say they haven't had the best results with this arrangement. Do you know where a used unit can be foud? What has your experience been with adding clicking to your operation?

There will be a pretty significant price increase from a modified shop press to a used clicker press. I chose to make my own as well and I'm pretty happy with it.

If I were doing it again though I would go with the 20 ton version instead of the 12. It will be more stout and provide you with extra room between the pillars.

I upgraded the jack to an air powered one and it works good. Its not as convenient as a clicker press would be of course but it has no problems doing the job.

If your clicking out 100's of pieces daily I would probably spend the extra for a clicker but for me I normally do 100's a week and it is fine for that.

Thanks for the encouragement. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 20 ton shop press and the 20 to pnuematic jack. I am taking it to the welder tomorrow where he will weld 2 1"x12"x24" plates of steel onto the frame. I will let you know how it works after I get some dies.

It didn't take you much convincing! I think you'll be happy with the set up. The biggest thing is getting the hang of the pressure, you want to stop as soon as its cut. On occasion ill sink a die too deep, its rare though and I blame the somewhat rickety 12 ton press that twists a bit and I think it sometimes applies uneven pressure. I'm also using pretty thin steel rule dies so it doesn't take much to push them into the cutting surface, this may not be an issue with the heavier type dies. I just ordered a die from Texas so ill find out, it was a little more involved than I could make.

For a cutting surface I bought one of the red clicker pads, it is far better than the poly cutting boards but I end up using the poly boards more often because if I do sink a die down into it I can just bend the board and the die pops out, its much easier than getting them out of the red type. I think the 20 ton will have far less flex and should be a much better option and I doubt you'll have those little issues. They are rare for mine and even with those its way faster and easier than cutting.

To update my earlier post.

I received my die from Texas and used it last night. It does not suffer from the occasional over penetration like the steel rule dies do since the bevel is quite severe. Its not a big deal to over come though as I've got it down to a science for the most part. I'm able to make the steel rule dies much cheaper so ill continue to use them.

I finished making my clicker die press today. Total cost was a little over $500. I started off with a Harbor Freight 20 ton shop press and a Harbor Freight 20 ton pneumatic jack. I then had (2) 1"x12"x22" steel plates welded on to it. I also added 2 additional spring to lift the weight of the plate and jack. I pretty much followed the directions of some of the post on this website and then modified it to my specifications. I am going to order some dies next to try the thing out.

What do you think?

http://youtu.be/NQ1GfAO_rs8

post-34802-0-63461300-1360329871_thumb.j

post-34802-0-60341800-1360329893_thumb.j

Edited by Texas Leash Co

Looks great, that pretty much looks like a big brother to mine. I really regret not getting the 20 ton as yours is considerably wider but I originally got it for holster molding and the 12 was more than enough for that. Some day I may just get the 20 ton, ill leave the 12 ton pneumatic jack in it as that should provide more than enough power.

I know this thread is several months old, but.....how many linear inches would a 20 ton press like this click out? How big of dies could this handle for say, 8-9 oz leather?