nmlvaio101

Show Off Your Bench, Organization, Workshop, And Such...

Don't feel bad, I used to fit all my tools and supplies in a box like this. And packed them up each night. I eventually got a desk that I could leave them out, then a whole workbench, then a whole room, then the shop I'm in now.

I started with a similar setup, except it was a cardboard box and I was working on our dishwasher because it was the most solid surface available. Finally I put my foot down and demanded some space of my own, so she threw me down the stairs and said "here, have the cold basement crybaby". Not really, my wife is too loving and accepting, but it sounds really funny :)

Once wives start seeing money roll in because of it they tend to have a change of heart:-).

I met my wife after I was already deep in it but when we got a house together having a workshop in the living room wasn't going to fly so when we picked out our house it had to have an extra room for a shop space.

She was also very supportive when I came home with the crazy idea of buying a shop and going full time, in fact it probably would have stayed a pipe dream if it wasn't for her. She actually quit her job before I did and ran the shop during the day and I came in after work and stayed till 1 or 2 am, which wasn't much different than before except I wasn't home working.

I keep hoping that will happen some day. I love my day job, but I love making money with art even more!! Half the reason I haven't been sleeping well lately is because I have ideas for products and patterns rolling through my head half the night.

OK, so I can say that my shop is not the most organized or clean, mostly because I am always working on a project and there seems to never be enough time to stop and "git-er cleaned". These are a few pics of it as clean as it ever gets. My work space is really comprised of two rooms. 1)the main work room which is 12' X 20' and 2) the cutting room which is 12' X 24'. The pics are of the main work room, since the cutting room is just a plain room with a 10' X 5' cutting table in it, and the storage of my wife's Christmas decorations. I have never posted pics of it before, because it just isn't a big fancy shop like most of you guys have. One of these days, the goal is to have a log cabin built out back to house my shop.

Bob

post-8161-0-20465300-1360614515_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-24251600-1360614565_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-52681200-1360614600_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-79236000-1360614632_thumb.jp

I have never posted pics of it before, because it just isn't a big fancy shop like most of you guys have. One of these days, the goal is to have a log cabin built out back to house my shop.

Bob

I think the majority of us actually have pretty small areas to work in, it's just that most of us don't share the pictures because it isn't much to look at :)

It's funny that the first thing that caught my eye in your pictures was the fish-tape hanging on the wall - obvious what I do for a living!!

How do you have those hand tools attached to the wall above your bench?

I think the majority of us actually have pretty small areas to work in, it's just that most of us don't share the pictures because it isn't much to look at :)

It's funny that the first thing that caught my eye in your pictures was the fish-tape hanging on the wall - obvious what I do for a living!!

How do you have those hand tools attached to the wall above your bench?

most of my hand tools have a hole in them and I hang them on a finishing nail on the board. For those that don't have a hole, I built a little "tool caddy". I use it to move a lot of the tools to where I am working on a saddle stand, it makes it handy to reach for "stuff".

I don't miss fish tapes at all!!

He has the sander burnisher I want. I actually just bought a thing to make my own setup that's similar to the weaver setup but isn't 500 bucks. Ill post pictures of it when its done. I just got the piece in today but I need some free time to assemble it.

most of my hand tools have a hole in them and I hang them on a finishing nail on the board. For those that don't have a hole, I built a little "tool caddy". I use it to move a lot of the tools to where I am working on a saddle stand, it makes it handy to reach for "stuff".

Bob,

Do you know the approximate RPM your sander/burnisher spins at? I'm going to be using a 1725rpm motor on mine and I still have to get the pulley so I could either make it spin at the 1725 or 3250 depending on what size pulley I go with.

Thanks.

Bob,

Do you know the approximate RPM your sander/burnisher spins at? I'm going to be using a 1725rpm motor on mine and I still have to get the pulley so I could either make it spin at the 1725 or 3250 depending on what size pulley I go with.

Thanks.

Billy, when I get back from the dentist tomorrow afternoon, I will go down and check it out and let you know about the RPM. Also, as for the fish tape, while I have used that one a lot over the years, like me it is now retired and it's purpose in life is to serve as an antena for my radio in the basement.!!! LOL

Bob

Haha. That's a good use for the fish tape.

I see you made a roller for your Cowboy, how's it working out?

Billy, the roller works just fine. I eliminates the dragging feeling when you push down on the lift pedal. Now I went down and checked out the motor/pulley arrangement and here is what I found: the motor is 1725 rpm, and the pulley on the motor is 1 7/8". The pulley on the arbor shaft is also 1 7/8" for a 1:1 or 1725 rpm final rotation on the arbor. The hard wood arbor is I think, cocabolo wood and is also 1 7/8" dia. What I can tell you for sure is that you don't want to spin it too fast or you will find yourself burning the edge of the leather rather than slicking it. Hope that helps?

Bob

Yep that helps. I currently have my cocobolo burnisher chucked directly onto a motor spinning at 1725 so I figured that would be fine, it is however hard on the motor so I got a thing that is similar to the end of the Weaver setup like you have so ill be able to add a sanding drum on the one side and the burnisher on the other. The weaver set up is a little more finished looking with the covers over the pulleys and belt but I already had everything except this one piece so it was a lot cheaper. I will either need a new motor or to have this one repaired as it no longer starts on its own. I have a customer who rebuilds motors but he's having some health problems right now so I may have to just find another one.

Thanks again, I was kinda curious as to what theirs spin at.

Well now you have it in writing! LOL A tip, on the left side of mine, I have the drum that has some type of material attached to it. I think it is like woven nylon fabric, you can get it from Weaver. I apply some bees wax to it and use it in the burnishing process. I also have a wood drum that accepts the sanding sleeve and I switch them out back and forth to either sand or polish/wax fill the edges as needed. The LH side of the arbor is LH thread. The RH side is RH. That way you don't have to crank it too tight to keep it from coming unscrewed while running.

Bob

That's the way the mandrel type thing I got is. One side is left hand thread. Its used for buffing wheels and such. I'm going to put my burnishing wheel on one side which is the wood burnisher and below it I have a felt wheel that probably works similar to your fabric covered drum. On the other side I have a sanding drum that I drilled out to fit over the shaft. Here's a picture of my current setup.

You must have had yours for a while, it looks a little different from the ones in their new catalog. The new ones come out at a 45* angle to stick over the bench. It also looks like yours has a back shield that probably keeps some of the dust down. I may at some point get one but I think mine will work good, plus my burnisher is smaller in diameter which gets in tighter areas and it has the point for belt slots. I just need to come up with a motor to use, mine only starts if I spin it by hand first so there's no sense in using that motor.

Thanks again.

F81DBB9D-BF5D-4E23-A1F4-6348D3D1CB2C-52459-00002E8B8DCC1BD3.jpg

This is the thing I got, not sure what its called. Ill just mount my burnisher in the chuck and a felt wheel behind it. I shouldn't need to switch anything out then. I think I'm going to mount it on the edge of my bench raised out on 2X4 blocks. I got it from Lee Valley for about 30 bucks, I had the chuck, burnisher and sanding drum so I won't have much invested depending on how patient I am for the motor, I don't want to buy a new one so I might have to wait until I find one used. There was one at a flea market that I was going to buy a few months ago as a spare, I'm going to head up there again this weekend to see if its still there, it was the last time I was there but now that I want it I'm sure it'll be gone but there might be others.

12EB6875-1A2F-4297-8E1F-7902034693D1-17671-00000DFA7B073C8D_zpsa5db76b6.jpg

That will work. Be sure to mount the mandrel out away from your bench about 10" or so, that will give you good access to the burnisher or sander with what ever you are working on. Probably don't need that much clearance for holsters, but; you never know, a saddle may be on your horizon, and it is nice to have room to manuver. As for mine, I bought it quite a while ago. Can't remember when, but; I think I paid about $250 for it, something like 05 or 04.

Bob

They are twice that now, I'd buy one for 250-300. 500 is a bit much though. This will do. Thanks again.

my compact space.

post-38328-0-69858100-1361771597_thumb.j

Edited by SomeAntics13

nice setup, easy reach of the medicine bottles too....like it

my compact space.

My first ever motorcycle seat had that skull and flowers design on it that's hanging from your bench.

This is the spot I have just started setting up to do some work. I was upstairs in a small spare bedroom but decided to move downstairs so I have more room. I have an overhead lighting directly over one table. I have a lot I want to do to it but will do it slowly.

On the other side of my basement I have my screenprinting and airbrushing area set up.

post-38210-0-56896800-1361907729_thumb.j

post-38210-0-64429600-1361907739_thumb.j

post-38210-0-48118500-1361908062_thumb.j

I have a lot I want to do to it but will do it slowly.

Get yourself a rolling chair and you'll be set for quick maneuvering all around :)

make sure you protect your leather well from any residual humidity in that basement. It looks like it's seen some moisture, so you may end up developing mold at some point.

Would it be ok to store the leather in a plastic bin with a lid? I have some huge ones that I could use.

I was going to get the walls sealed again and put up some sort of paneling. My house was built in 1900 so I am working on upgrading from the top down. Unfortunately that means Gabriels basement workshop comes last.

Would it be ok to store the leather in a plastic bin with a lid? I have some huge ones that I could use.

I was going to get the walls sealed again and put up some sort of paneling. My house was built in 1900 so I am working on upgrading from the top down. Unfortunately that means Gabriels basement workshop comes last.

I know how you feel there. Mine was 1917 and my basement work area was a dirt cellar for the better part of its life. Totes would work well. Try to keep them off the floor, even if that means on top of a couple pieces of wood. Sides of leather may pose a little more problem, unless they'll fit in your containers. I've been wanting to get some more costco shelves for my area to store stuff further off the ground, but we do what we can.

I have huge plastic bins that full sides of leather rolled up will fit in easily. I will put a couple 2x4's down to get the bins off the floor until I can get some shelfs up. Can I ask why to raise them off the floor?