elf3

Help Please! Sealing An Autograph...

A little note on my fast and dirty tests. I did not allow the requisit number of hours for drying between coats. I used a damp sponge to apply the last two finishes (resolene and folk art). Two thin coats full strength not watered down except by what ever water was in the sponge. I only waited about a half hour to dry before doing a water drop test and then rubbing hard with first a paper towel then a piece of canvas. I used a piece of naked veg tan, a piece of soft red drum dyed chrome tan and a piece of surface dyed chrome tan with a distressed effect put on it commercially. All three finishes removed some of the distressed effect ( even plain water did) glad I know that about that piece of leather now.

You put it on with a sponge, would you recommend a sponge over a spongy craft brush? I would assume I wouldn't want to spray it. I will plan to do 2 thin coats and I will follow the instructions on the bottle for drying time.

What costs $25???

SHIPPING! :)

You put it on with a sponge, would you recommend a sponge over a spongy craft brush? I would assume I wouldn't want to spray it. I will plan to do 2 thin coats and I will follow the instructions on the bottle for drying time.

Hi Elf3

Brilliant idea to do a little sharpie test on the other boot! There are so many different kinds of leather and finishes that you never know until you test.

Yes I would use a small damp sponge you will get more control in a tight space that way. I often use those little wedge shaped cosmetic sponges or I cut up a dollar store sponge ( not the cellulose kind that get hard), like the kind on a foam brush. For the small area you are trying to seal the foam brush might hold too much varnish.

Now if your leather is shiny just lightly swipe a thin coat on and don't touch it. Acrylics dry to the touch very fast and if you keep working it it will streak. However if your leather is more matt you can very lightly stroke it with the sponge in different directions to make it look matt. Try not to leave any bubbles.

Don't fret on the first coat you can fix it on the second, other than bubbles. If you are nervous practice on a scrap of cereal box to get the feel of working with it. You really only need to seal the area of the autograph not the whole inside.

If you have any more questions don't be shy to ask and please let us know how it turns out.

Cheers, Toolingaround

SHIPPING! :)

Starting to think I'm jinxed! Went to 2 stores, no one had varnish! Hopefully I can track some down this weekend.

Starting to think I'm jinxed! Went to 2 stores, no one had varnish! Hopefully I can track some down this weekend.

Do you have a Tandy anywhere nearby? You may be able to call up a specific store and ask to order some to be shipped out to you cheaper that way. Or, if you have one in your local vicinity you can obviously go get whatever you need.

Perhaps Renaissance wax? As you would probably clean your boots anyway, it is used by the British Museum and countless others across the world to preserve many types of items from bronze statues to paper. The items are obviously not being worn but I see no reason why it can't be used and then just reapplied from time to time, when you are polishing your boots anyway. It should do no harm at all (as far as I know) and is trusted on valuable items for preservation. It is also waterproof, plus it can be used on almost any item, so if you buy it at least you probably can use it elsewhere.

So, get this. Digging under our counter I find some original Mop n Glo. Seriously. No one knew it was in there. Going shopping today so maybe I will stop at a craft store and get the Folk Art varnish, still torn between those 2. Will keep you posted!

I'm practicing with the mop n glo on the other boot. I feel like the mixture was super watery and I might have put it on too thick. When the 1st coat dries will it have a finish?

Well the 1st coat didn't have a finish. 2nd coat is drying now. The pen did not fade, just not sure if its actually doing any good as a finish! I will do some testing after it dries.

Update! I'm sorry it took me so long. Have been doing some wear and tear on the coated areas, I used both red and black sharpie. Both were lightened a lot by the mop and glo, and the black actually smeared. Hoping to get ahold of some clear varnish sonn, I miss my boots!

Here's a picture!post-38929-0-06532000-1363733215_thumb.j

Maybe if you tried heat-setting the sharpie first? I know that works for t-shirts and sharpie signatures. Just use a blow dryer on it and see how it goes.

I FINALLY got some acrylic varnish. I will heat set and try that tonight. I can't believe I started doing this 2 months ago....go me haha :)

I heat treated and sealed the test boot with 3 very thin coats of acrylic varnish. On the tester I did one thin coat, then waiting the 10 minutes as the bottle instructed, then applied the next. To distress, I used a damp rag to scrub for about 15 minutes straight. Here are my pictures...

Supplies:post-38929-0-91955000-1364943417_thumb.j

Before application:post-38929-0-29194200-1364943451_thumb.j

After application: post-38929-0-80747100-1364943541_thumb.j

After distress: post-38929-0-89833000-1364943512_thumb.j

I decided that this application will work for me. I put a thin coat on, then let it dry for about 12 hours (just wanted to be safe ;) ) between the next coat. I think I did 4 coats total on the signature. I am thinking I will wear them for a while, then when I notice any wearing that is interrupting the signature, I will just add one more thin coat. I will probably add an additional one if I plan on wearing them a lot for a prolonged period of time. I just want to thank EVERYONE who has helped me with so many thoughts and suggestions, I hope someone finds this on their search in the future and it helps them :)

Final product:

post-38929-0-79125300-1364944211_thumb.j

I just want to thank EVERYONE who has helped me with so many thoughts and suggestions, I hope someone finds this on their search in the future and it helps them :)

WOOHOO!!! There's a little bit of wear on it, but as far as anybody else is concerned, that happened before you sealed it :)

Glad you were finally able to get it taken care of. If you ever decide to take up leatherwork, you know where to find us!! :)

Actually that's how the signature was! So the varnish worked great and if anything made it look more sharp!