I spent a night at a hotel in Norway in august, and paying the bill felt like being robbed in the streeet, with the exception that I could keep my smartphone! hahaha

Yes Knut, the prices are criminally high. I cannot afford to stay in hotels here, I use my lavvo tent or rent a cabin. I mostly go on fishing trips anyway and in the summer time. If I go anywhere in the winter time my bearing is south to south east, ha ha.

Hi all

I have two several tools-we say strap cutters. one 10 and next is 15cm. One is equipped with "table adapter" and wedge but this adapter is suitable for both tools even from different producers

I think that i know wedge purpose.

My english isn´t good, so i hope my pics provide more iformations

Martin

post-16366-0-31871000-1361997541_thumb.j

post-16366-0-26555700-1361997576_thumb.j

post-16366-0-29055400-1361997604_thumb.j

post-16366-0-63709000-1361997641_thumb.j

post-16366-0-99219600-1361997661_thumb.j

Edited by compound

Martin,

Thank you, NOW that makes sense! And now one other question. Who is the maker of the plough gauge with the tassle looking logo on the bar? I have or had one and don't know.

Thank you,

Bruce

Thank you Martin, Of course thats the purpose. Who makes your ploughs, strap cutters? I do not recognize any of the makers stamps.

In advance thanks

Tor

There is nothing to thank. Marks on my tools also do not know.

Tassel brand is still on another old tool - round knife , rein rounder and oval puncher. Therefore I think that it was a manufacturer with great production. Another brand-Horseshoe with star-is only on this tool. I asked my colleague from the University of Tomas Bata. He is an expert on the history of saddlery and leather work and waiting for an answer.

Martin

There is nothing to thank. Marks on my tools also do not know.

Tassel brand is still on another old tool - round knife , rein rounder and oval puncher. Therefore I think that it was a manufacturer with great production. Another brand-Horseshoe with star-is only on this tool. I asked my colleague from the University of Tomas Bata. He is an expert on the history of saddlery and leather work and waiting for an answer.

Martin

Thank you Martin, I look forward to his answer. Your left plough looks like it is of a French pattern, same as Blanchard and Mayer Flamery (and more). The other one is unusual, I have never seen this style before. The knife style is French. However, the handle style is more German. I guess it is French or German. I have seen that German tool makers have made leather tools of French pattern before. I have also seen the horseshoe with star mark on a other French plough gauge, who was for sale on French EBay. On some other saddler tools too. They both are metric so that leaves out the UK, the UK plough`s are of a different pattern anyway. Do the attachment have any maker stamp on it? Where did you buy these tools?

Thanks

Tor

Thor,

look what I found last weekend: a plough gauge almost identical to yours, plus a german? made round knife. I guess they are made by the same maker as the handles are identical ( I had to shorten the round knife handle to remove a crack, and to make it fit my hand better)

The round bar on the plough gauge was corroded so the brass outer layer was destroyed. This morning I turned a new solid brass bar so it is now like new.

The round knife was very rusty but I brought it to my friend, the gold smith, and he had a "miracle solution" that removed the rust completely in a couple of seconds.

The knife is now sharpened and ready for duty. I paid ~80$ for the lot

/ Knut

PS Tha lady also gave me a hand crank splitter for free! Not in the best condition, but... it can get a new life

post-5173-0-57344000-1364936408_thumb.jp

Thor,

look what I found last weekend: a plough gauge almost identical to yours, plus a german? made round knife. I guess they are made by the same maker as the handles are identical ( I had to shorten the round knife handle to remove a crack, and to make it fit my hand better)

The round bar on the plough gauge was corroded so the brass outer layer was destroyed. This morning I turned a new solid brass bar so it is now like new.

The round knife was very rusty but I brought it to my friend, the gold smith, and he had a "miracle solution" that removed the rust completely in a couple of seconds.

The knife is now sharpened and ready for duty. I paid ~80$ for the lot

/ Knut

PS Tha lady also gave me a hand crank splitter for free! Not in the best condition, but... it can get a new life

Hei Knut,

Sorry for the late reply ( Eastern Holiday trip, came home yesterday)

You keep on score nice machines and tools, nice job Knut.

Apparently we both have a good nose for finding gold among Grey stones. Maybe you and me should go in to business as gold diggers, ha ha.

The maker, named in my first post also makes a round knife. Looking at the handle I can see its the same style. Did you change the two screws on the plough? mine has a hex screw on the top and a very ugly long thumb screw on the fence adjustment. I like to unscrew it and trow it as far as I can, as soon as I find a replacement its in the trash. Do you think your goldsmith buddy will let me in to his secret of removing rust?, is it some kind of electrolytic bath. What kind of splitter did she give you .

Anyway, a good price for those nice tools.

Tor

H Thor.

I read on the bottle of the "magic solution" and it contains citric acid and phosporus acid ( citron -och fosforsyra) . The rust just disappeared in half a minute.

The splitter is Swedish made . I already have one that is exactly the same, so I guess I´ll sandblast this one and give it a new paintjoband try to sell it.

/Knut

H Thor.

I read on the bottle of the "magic solution" and it contains citric acid and phosporus acid ( citron -och fosforsyra) . The rust just disappeared in half a minute.

The splitter is Swedish made . I already have one that is exactly the same, so I guess I´ll sandblast this one and give it a new paintjoband try to sell it.

/Knut

Thanks Knut, the receipt is noted. Could you send me a pic of it, or the one that you have from before. I could be interested if its the right one.

Thanks

Tor

Thor.

here are some pics of the splitter.

/ Knut

post-5173-0-03729000-1365589520_thumb.jp

post-5173-0-60605700-1365589549_thumb.jp

Thor.

here are some pics of the splitter.

/ Knut

That look good Knut, I have a 5 in 1 machine with the same blue plate " MAFAL".

I need a splitter like that. Maybe we could figure out a trade that will please us both, if you need something I might have.... just a thought. Let me think about it. Or if you are willing to sell it, think about a price or a trade.

Thanks

Tor

Tor.

MAFAL = Maskinfabriken Lindqvist, Munka Ljungby ( en ort utanför Ängelholm i Skåne)

Bara jag får tid ska jag försöka snygga till den, ta bort rost, blästra och lacka , sen kan jag sälja den eller byta.

Problemet är att frakt till Norge kommer nog att bli dyr - den är tung!

Vi får se vad som händer, Tor, men du står först i kön när den ska bort!

Tor.

MAFAL = Maskinfabriken Lindqvist, Munka Ljungby ( en ort utanför Ängelholm i Skåne)

Bara jag får tid ska jag försöka snygga till den, ta bort rost, blästra och lacka , sen kan jag sälja den eller byta.

Problemet är att frakt till Norge kommer nog att bli dyr - den är tung!

Vi får se vad som händer, Tor, men du står först i kön när den ska bort!

Takk Knut, its not that far away, we will figure it out. Thanks Knut. Let me know

when you want to sell it.

Thanks

Tor

Hej knut,

Har du fått sålt spaltmaskinen? Annars har du en intressent!

Vh

Faiz