spn94

Groove Width For Heavy Thread

Hi,

I want to use some thick thread (size 554 polyester) which is 0.8 mm in diameter. The standard stitching groover makes a channel that is barely that wide and with a few passes, I can get it deep enough to stuff the thread in.

What I find, however, is that the awl piercing extends beyond the groove when rotated to the correct angle:

post-37962-0-39376400-1360272303_thumb.p

I could rotate the awl clockwise from what the diagram shows, but the piercings would then come close to lining up. A smaller awl would make it very difficult to pass the needle through. Regardless, there is not really enough room in the groove for the stitches to lie properly.

Is there a wider cutter I should use or should I resort to making a wider groove with two parallel passes?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by spn94

I have a few groovers that are for grooving shoe soles for stitching, they are wider than your standard groovers normally found at Tandy. I can get new ones from one of my suppliers if you have trouble finding one, its Frankford Leather but I'm pretty sure you need an account set up to order from them so if you need one ordered let me know. I also have a powered one that makes a pretty wide groove but that isn't really feasible for your situation.

Hi,

I want to use some thick thread (size 554 polyester) which is 0.8 mm in diameter. The standard stitching groover makes a channel that is barely that wide and with a few passes, I can get it deep enough to stuff the thread in.

What I find, however, is that the awl piercing extends beyond the groove when rotated to the correct angle:

post-37962-0-39376400-1360272303_thumb.p

I could rotate the awl clockwise from what the diagram shows, but the piercings would then come close to lining up. A smaller awl would make it very difficult to pass the needle through. Regardless, there is not really enough room in the groove for the stitches to lie properly.

Is there a wider cutter I should use or should I resort to making a wider groove with two parallel passes?

Thanks in advance!