desertw0lf

Weight Lifting Belt - Anyone Make One?

Looking to make myself a good, solid (10mm thick) weight lifting belt. I would like to put a 4" roller buckle on it - preferrably two prong but would settle for one prong if that is my only option. Problem is, I cannot find that type of hardware anywhere.. any ideas?

This is the cheapskate in me suggesting this, but I have seen many leather weight lifting belts at second hand shops. Most just sit until there is a 99 cent sale of some sort. I've even seen some that were unfinished veg-tanned leather that would probably take some tooling. It'd be a cheap way of getting your hardware and pattern as long as you don't feel bad about tearing an old one apart in the process.

I repaied one once for a customer, I cut out the rivets, replaced the buckle and reinstalled with Chicago Screws. As I remember, this one was about 4" or more wide, but the buckle was 2" I think but could have been 3", I don't remember. It was built something like a Ranger Belt where the main belt overlapped and the strap and buckle kept it tight. Didn't take any pictures. I got the buckle from Ohio Travel Bag, they do require a business licence and a $50.00 minimum order. I know that sometimes they will waive the business license because I bought from them befor I got mine, but they are pretty well set on the $50.00 minimum.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

I repaied one once for a customer, I cut out the rivets, replaced the buckle and reinstalled with Chicago Screws. As I remember, this one was about 4" or more wide, but the buckle was 2" I think but could have been 3", I don't remember. It was built something like a Ranger Belt where the main belt overlapped and the strap and buckle kept it tight. Didn't take any pictures. I got the buckle from Ohio Travel Bag, they do require a business licence and a $50.00 minimum order. I know that sometimes they will waive the business license because I bought from them befor I got mine, but they are pretty well set on the $50.00 minimum.

Chief

I want the belt 4" all the way around, including where it buckles, for various reasons.

This is the cheapskate in me suggesting this, but I have seen many leather weight lifting belts at second hand shops. Most just sit until there is a 99 cent sale of some sort. I've even seen some that were unfinished veg-tanned leather that would probably take some tooling. It'd be a cheap way of getting your hardware and pattern as long as you don't feel bad about tearing an old one apart in the process.

It is pretty rare to find a max-legal-thickness (10-13mm) belt second hand. Especially in certain sizes. Belts like I want are going to run ~140.00 which is why I want to make one, and maybe look into producing a few.

Try Ohio Travel, but I'm not sure they have 4" buckles.

Chief

Not sure if this will help but i was asked to make a 4" Dog collar (Had to have bigger than everyone else) I could not find it anywhere and as the guy said cost was not an option i took a 3" double roller buckle to a local Machine shop to see if he could make one in 4" and he made one from scratch plus a roller ring in 4" and had them plated with some other things he had getting plated and charged me $15.00 to my amazment he told me he charged me that much because it was the first time and next time would be cheaper.