Just finished(?) my first batch of Vinegaroon, I am curious if I've done it right 1) It really isn't Black more a clear gray liquid, 2) after almost 3 weeks there was steel wool left in jug. 3) I strained it through coffee filters but it looks like I may need to do it again?? Thanks so much for you all of your help.

If there's steel wool left in the jug, it means that you have 'used up' all the acid (vinegar). You can add more, or just start a new batch. Take a piece of scrap leather and dip it in the mix. You should have a near instant color change. Dark gray is okay, let it sit for a few minutes, then apply a light coat of oil or conditioner. It should then turn black. If it turns black immediately, then you"re good to go.

Don't forget the neutralizing bath. Strong 'roon can make the leather too acidic, and degrade it.

A lot of times you won't get a good black color until you neutralize it. Just remember you can always redip it in the vinegroon if a place is lighter than the rest. I have had to do that especially with tooled leather.

David

The liquid itself doesnt turn the black. Mine is red in one jar and tea colored in the other. Its not a dye its a chemical reaction so the color of the liquid is not important.