Valleee

How To 'bling Up' Headstalls?

Hello all! I've recently become determined to start decorating tack blanks, after a long search for the 'perfect' headstall.

So I bought a few headstalls, including one that I already trashed trying to glue flatback Swarovski rhinestones onto with E6000 glue. I am looking into either rim setting my own Swarovski crystals, or buying the Swarovski rivets.

I am looking for advice on what the most cost effective (including tools needed as well as supplies) method of decorating headstalls would be. Keep in mind that I am a complete beginner with any kind of leather work, and am eager to learn :D I also need to find a great Canadian supplier for these supplies, or one that will ship to Canada for a decent price,

So any advice on rim set vs rivets, as well on advice for the best tool makers and suppliers would be great!

Thanks in advance.

No advice? Anyone? Please?

I am pretty sure most are done with rim set rhinestones. It seems like the rivets would be top expensive.

They aren't fun to set by hand. I am looking at the spot setter made by Standard Rivet Co to set both spots and rim set rhinestones. It is a manual machine but a good price for entry level machine. Price is $595 and includes two dies...your choice of size. Rim set die was around $70. Weaver also makes one that is very similar

As far as suppliers, I get mine from Dreamtime Creations. They make a "bling in a ring" and you can get any color stone set...either Swarovski or Preciosa. They don't do acrylics. You ca also buy the stones and rims seperately and set them yourself in the rim.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding the rim sets for less $ on ebay, so I bought those. I am definitely not able to buy an expensive machine right now, so I'll need to find tools that work effectively but aren't expensive.

Did you get the 4 prong rims or the two? The ones I get are two prong rims so you can set the with an adjustable spot tool (do a google image search and you will see it). But I had to file the prongs down so they were narrower and didn't leave such a big slit in the leather and they work better. But I QUICKLY realized it is a pain to set these and in my opinion...not a way to make any money doing it by hand.

Also, I ordered some rims and stones and tried to do them myself and again, it might be a little more expensive to order them put together but in the end I can't do it fast enough to save any money. My time with worth money and anything I can get to speed up the process and do it more efficiently will actually make me money in the end.

Thanks for the reply. I accidentally ordered 4 prong instead of 2 prong :( so I have no idea what I even need to get the rhinestones in them, and into the leather. I've been asking around, and so far its been hard to get good advice.

Rivets are more expensive, but are they faster and easier to install?

What about this setter?

www.allstarco.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=64&cat=Rhinestone+Stud+Setter

this is similar to the Little Wonder by Weaver. I wonder how much the dies are for it? I think Springfield Leather has something similar as well for about the same price.

Oh...it looks like it is bottom loading. Not sure if I would like that as it would be impossible to see where you are putting the spots.

It says that u place the settings in the bottom die, prongs up, I'm assuming that means it is bottom loading. So I need a top loading press? And how do I get them onto the leather? I am so confused!

Oh and I bought this:

www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/8114-50.aspx

To use for spots, can I use it for anything else?

See that is what I am saying. It is upside down. The other spot setters load on the top and you put your work facing up so you can see where you are placing your spot. With this you would be working upside down...and in my opinion, that just won't work because you won't be able to see you work as the leather would have the finished side facing down. How do you know where your spots you are placing would be in relation to the other spots? Not practical and probably a waste of money. You would be better to set them by hand.

I see what your saying. I need a press that is not too expensive. Unless I can make one.

How do I hand press the rim sets into leather? Do I need to punch holes in the leather first somehow?

I have the spot setter from Tandy and it is ok. Here is what I have done. I bought the adjustable awl. I work on one of the rubber mats. I mark my spots with the awl so that it doesn't go through the leather all the way. Place the spots in the slits..they are in about half way. Then use the spot setter you just posted to set them in the leather. Turn the leather over and push the prongs over by with nail set (like you would use to countersink small nails in trim work). You can then place the leather, upside down, in the little "tray" thing they provide, with the spot in the right size circle and then hammer the prongs flat as long as the spots aren't too close together.

All this is a pain! And definitely not a way to make any money considering the amount of time it takes to do it. Just my opinion.

Ok thank you! I think I'll switch to rivets once these are used up, they seem to be way too time consuming.