Jaymack

Flattest Finish Available

Is there a finish that dries flatter than Satin Sheen?

I am unsuccesfully trying something new with the dye on a sheath that I'm working on. I am initially vingarooning the entire sheath. I then brush USMC black dye on the image that I have carved to get it to stand out. The black dye will naturally shine with a little buffing, but I want to keep the rest of the sheath the dull grey/black that you get with vingaroon. Once I put any of the finishes I have on the sheath, I lose the effect that I am trying to achieve.

Thanks,

John

First off, the dye doesn't polish up...that's the leather. It's taking a light burnish fromthe buffing.

Next....you don't really have to put a finish on the vinegaroon. You do need to oil it, or rub in some conditioning. There's a lot of information about the 'roon in the threads about it.

As far as a 'flat' finish....any (grain side of vegtan) leather is going to get some shine to it when it starts getting used...it's just part of how the leather wears in. You may want to try just conditioning the leather and see if it will stay 'flat' enough.

Maybe instead of shooting for a really flat finish on the one part ramp up the shiny on the dyed part. Its very hard to get a flat finish on leather but probably the closest thing would be a satin finish that is diluted and sprayed on very thin.

Thanks for the help. What finally worked for me was to brush the vingaroon on and then neutralize it quickly which makes the leather a dull grey. I then hand painted the USMC black on my image. It worked, so now I just need to carve the right image for this.