Hey guys, I've been on and off here quite a bit for the last two months or so trying to learn from seeing and reading. I've done some stamping with the two Tandy kits I bought, but I think I want to head in the purse,backpack,attache bag direction. I'm kind of on a tight budget so acquiring tools has been slow. Thankfully I have a good friend that bought me a rotary punch so I've managed to make the two projects you see. The little bag is the Dasher from Tandy. The other is a Kindle cover I made from the Tandy 8 1/2" by 11" tooling leather. The purse was a big step for me but I had to jump in with both feet. The leather was a veg-tan belly? that was on sale at Tandy for 20 bucks. I had no template or pattern to speak of, just what i saw in my mind. I measured and cut trying to maximize the leather for the biggest bag from this cut of leather, also for gussets and straps. I actually had to borrow money for the hardware. Anyway the bag is complete and as of later today it will be given to my wife for her birthday. I know I have a long way to go. I see what I want but have to get the tools and practice to get there. But hey, practice makes perfect. Let me know what you think.post-38317-0-60122000-1362245085_thumb.jpost-38317-0-21789000-1362245112_thumb.jpost-38317-0-49092400-1362245128_thumb.j

You really need to tighten your lacing up on the purse. The way it is on the bottom it looks like things will fall out. Looks like you missed a couple of place on the edge of flap when you dyed it. I'm sure she will be happy with it.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing photos of your work.

Hey guys, I've been on and off here quite a bit for the last two months or so trying to learn from seeing and reading. I've done some stamping with the two Tandy kits I bought, but I think I want to head in the purse,backpack,attache bag direction. I'm kind of on a tight budget so acquiring tools has been slow. Thankfully I have a good friend that bought me a rotary punch so I've managed to make the two projects you see. The little bag is the Dasher from Tandy. The other is a Kindle cover I made from the Tandy 8 1/2" by 11" tooling leather. The purse was a big step for me but I had to jump in with both feet. The leather was a veg-tan belly? that was on sale at Tandy for 20 bucks. I had no template or pattern to speak of, just what i saw in my mind. I measured and cut trying to maximize the leather for the biggest bag from this cut of leather, also for gussets and straps. I actually had to borrow money for the hardware. Anyway the bag is complete and as of later today it will be given to my wife for her birthday. I know I have a long way to go. I see what I want but have to get the tools and practice to get there. But hey, practice makes perfect. Let me know what you think.post-38317-0-60122000-1362245085_thumb.jpost-38317-0-21789000-1362245112_thumb.jpost-38317-0-49092400-1362245128_thumb.j

Leatherman,

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have another leather crafter from Georgia on the forum. I'm over in Tifton, not sure where you are, but if I can be of any assistance let me know. Your tooling looks pretty good for starting out, practice will get you there and paying attention to the basics. As Dirtclod said, your lacing has a ways to go, don't get discouraged, stay in there.

Chief

Thanks guys for your input. Chief, I'm over here in Cartersville. I don't like the leather lace look that much but it is all I have until I can get into the hand stitching which I would prefer. Since the Dasher hand bag, I have learned about wet forming and edge burnishing and I am trying to work on those areas as well. I have pics of the tan hand bag in my other post since I couldn't put them on this post. I didn't mention it earlier, but I've only begun this leather adventure since early January and I am really excited to learn as much as a I can to get better. Needless to say, I think this year everyone in the family will be getting something in leather for Christmas. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hello and welcome to the forum

I am in Rossville, GA